Willing to try anything for $150 and below:full sized or IEM(WITH CERTAIN CONDITIONS)
Aug 13, 2007 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

only500made

100+ Head-Fier
Well, my quest for the AH-D2000 ended when owners confirmed to me that the isolation from outside noise isn't good at all. It seemed like the cans that I wanted but poor isolation + price = no no. I would like to pick these up one day when all the hype has gone down. I've had the ATH-A700s as my first set of "cans" and sold it (got the upgraditis bug thinking I'll be picking up the D2000). I've been listening to my EP630s for around a week or two now and I'm missing "sound quality"
frown.gif

So now, I'm looking for something that's $150 and below. I came across two cans that interests me: super fi pro 5 and the RP-21s. superfi wins in the isolation category here even if I haven't had or tried it (for the obvious reasons) but I like the sound of full sized cans (since I had the ATH-A700). If maybe the super fi can provide that "environment" inside my ears, then maybe I'll get them.

Music wise: I listen to various genres ranging from RnB to lounge music (I don't listen to Jazz , Country and Classical, period). I love my BASS, but not overbloated, so I need something that control bass efficiently. If asked on what musical instrument I enjoy listening to, it's probably the guitar and the sax. All music will be driven out of an ipod.

So what I'm looking for:

-Isolation , so no open cans here.
-something that creates that musical environment (I loved on how my A700s had that 3D effect -well that's how I call it)
-BASS, but the controlled type.
-something that's flexible (RnB-lounge-acoustic-rock)
-instrument separation. I loved on how I discovered this in my A700s before. damn that was a good experience...I want more.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 4
I can't comment on whether you would be better off with IEM's or with full sized cans, but if you choose to go the IEM route, I would suggest reading up on the Atrio M5:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234707 (for the full thread)

or

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239901 (for what I consider to be an excellent review by tbonner1)

I think the Atrio M5 is hands down the best value in the IEM market at the moment, and it excels in many of the areas you mention (musicality, bass, isolation, and it's ability to handle the guitar). You can find it on eBay from Road Dog Online for under your target price using the "make an offer" feature (I, along with many other head-fiers, would not hesitate to do business with them again -- they are great). I also think the M5's sound more closely resembles a full sized can than any other IEM that I have heard in terms of soundstage. Nonetheless, you need to keep in mind that IEM's and full sized cans are two completely different creatures, which is why I would be somewhat hesitant to recommend an IEM to someone who craves the sound of a full sized can.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the Atrio M5s, and I've been loving them so far. I bought the Shure black olive sleeves and they have very good isolation. The foam sleeves that came with them were pretty good too, but not as easy to get into my ears. I wasn't expecting the highest quality bass in an iem, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't have a lot of experience with other headphones, so I'm probably biased. I've only used JVC Marshmallows and Sennheiser HD490s, and the M5s are head and shoulders above them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back