Will we sample fresh Schiit at all in 2016?
Jun 12, 2016 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
So far 2016 has been a quiet year for Schiit. They recently made their MQA announcement. We've had no new equipment. No upgrades for Yiggy, Gungnir, etc. Silence. Crickets.

Has Schiit gotten drunk off of its currently swollen order books and production backlog? Have they decided to stagnate?

If NOT... what is on the horizon for 2016?

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm thinking of ordering the gungnur multibit for my office setup. So, I hope they don't come up with something newer, better and cheaper a few weeks after I receive the new DAC. That would be my luck though lol.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm thinking of ordering the gungnur multibit for my office setup. So, I hope they don't come up with something newer, better and cheaper a few weeks after I receive the new DAC. That would be my luck though lol.

Yeah, same here...Just about to order a MB Gungnir to replace a busted Bifrost...I'd sure feel pretty horrible were they to announce updated gear within the same category at some point within the next few weeks.  Such is the nature of the beast, I guess. With tech companies, at least there are rumors or leaks to warn potential customers of incoming refreshes this late in a product life-cycle.  In this case, the products usually just pop up on the website with a matching press release that morning.

I suppose there'd be a chance for a return (minus the 5% re-stock fee) if anything gets announced within the 15-day window...

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Jason keeps posting in the Schiit Happened thread that he is surrounded by shiny things 
biggrin.gif

These things, I think from my understanding of what's been posted, will not obviate the existing DACs - particularly for the existing upgradable DACs, which could (most likely will not, but can be upgraded to) include MQA. It just again ain't gonna happen until some significant portion of the audio available requires MQA. Then there are still other pending reasons - perhaps a quick look at the Hans Beekhuyzen channel on YouTube will assist with a little more understanding of MQA.

Even the [redacted] as I understand it will work with many existing systems, and not just Schiit products.

The bigger things on the horizon are speaker products. And unless you have the Ragnarok (I do, and use it with speakers, and may find myself a little smitten by the new Schiit speaker products) you're good to go with anything and everything that Schiit is making to date!

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Things Schiit DAC's are missing are this:
 - Galvanized USB input
 - Built-in streamer - mabye with Tidal/(spotify) login 
 - WIndows/mac driver to stream sound directly to DAC so it works from both MAC and Windows
 - Use of on-chip pre-amp functions
 - Mono dac chips with separated audio signal path

I dont think Schiit should take their high end DAC and build it around an amp, it should be 2 separated items for sure! But mabye the streamer part could be swapped with a later version at some point!

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Since the DACs are designed for USB make the Streamer module like a Sonore MicroRendu then Attach the USB module. So basically the microRendu and USB module on the same chip that fit into the Bus of the DAC instead of the USB Only module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back