Will using the High Gain (+12dB for 64-300ohm headphones) setting on my Xonar STX damage the Q701?
Feb 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shinndigg

New Head-Fier
I know the Q701 have an impedance of only 62 ohms, but the normal gain setting on the STX just doesn't cut it for me. I can crank the volume to 100% and it still sounds a bit weak. On the high gain setting, 30% is uncomfortable loud. Is it just a bad amp match? I didn't have this problem with the Fiio E9, which from what I've read is about equivalent to the STX amp. 

Sennheiser HD 598 gets uncomfortably loud around 50% volume normal gain, and ATH M50 doesn't go above 33% volume without being too loud. Just thought I'd include that information. 

Will using the High Gain setting damage the headphones, or cause any sort of distortion? 

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 5
will i benefit better sounding with it ? i think the bass improve with the EXTRA HIGH GAIN on the Q701 and STX.. but was just wondering if on the long term i am damaging the headphone or messing up its dynamic range (considering i am lowering the volume for a normal listening vol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back