Will unshielded speakers damage an LCD monitor?
Jan 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Phil5000

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'd like to set up my mini systerm to use with my xbox 360 for gaming. I use an LCD monitor, and I'd have the speakers right next to the monitor on my desk. My question is will the magnetic field of the speakers damage the LCD like it would a CRT?

If not is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 5
No.

Plasma/LCD won't be affected. CRT's will if the speaker isn't shielded.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 5
And it isn't damage, it's distortion. Unshielded speakers pose a minimal problem to an LCD monitor, but there's other devices that may not appreciate them (anything that doesn't like magnetic interference in large amounts; your computer should have at least one such device inside (whether or not it's a problem depends on how powerful of a field the speakers put out and how things are placed - it's probably not MRI levels (which will kill most electronic devices), so I wouldn't be overly worried)). However, many modern speakers are shielded, and if that's the case with your equipment, it's a complete non-issue.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I would keep unshielded speakers away from your computer hard drives, those that are magnetic type (non- SSD). There is no evidence that they damage hard drives but I have not seen evidence that they do not. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I would keep unshielded speakers away from your computer hard drives, those that are magnetic type (non- SSD). There is no evidence that they damage hard drives but I have not seen evidence that they do not. 

I've never heard or read of an incident unshielded speaker damaging a computer's hard drive. I don't think the magnets in the speakers would be strong enough to erase the data. But I'd agree that if you can avoid putting the speakers from being too close to your computer, then why not do that and reduce any possibility of it potentially becoming an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back