will ultrasone 750 pro blow away akg k271's?
Feb 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

analog'd

1000+ Head-Fier
i use and enjoy e500's and ety er4S's at work, but there are many times when i have to get out from under too often for iem's. so; i tried an akg k271 but found it lacking in sq compared to the iem's and my k1000's and ps1's.

so i tried sony cd3k's. vast improvement when comparing at home using my naim cd5 cdp thru a raptor; but way too revealing in the highs for my portable cdp (iriver) with a tomahawk. tried the iriver thru the raptor and sure enough, the culprit was the synergy with the iriver and the cd3k's, not the tomahawk.

tried a900's and found them lacking in overall sq, though good for the money, they just don't sound very refined to me.

finally, i broke in the akg271's way longer and put an equinox cable on them: big improvement and they do sound very good even with the lesser source (iriver cdp) thru either tomahawk or raptor. still, I am so spoiled by the PS1's and k1000's that i would like even more of an improvement.

so my questions are:

1) will the ultrasone 750 pro blow away akg271's?
2) will the 750 need a better source than I'm using at work as the cd3k's did?

please help me.

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 8
The PROline 750 are very revealing headphones in the high end, no doubt about that. The raptor should be no problem, of course. So the question becomes, what kind of synergy might they have with your Tomahawk?

With my Go-Vibe, my 750s perform very nicely sourced from my 5G iPod with AAC files at only 128 kbps, so I doubt that your source would be a sticking point with them.

The good news for you, Jim, is that the PROlines (especially the 2500, but also the 750 to a good degree) have a very loudspeaker-like presentation similar to your K-1000s. And that's something I've never seen said about the akg271s.

Hopefully others with experience of the Tomahawk and the PROlines can help out here.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 8
thanks very much for your feeedback. i will actually be using an HR2 in the end, so my only real worry is that the 750 is TOO good for my Iriver imp550 pcdp. that was the case with sony cd3000's. despite some people finding them TOO bright, out of a naim cd5 cdp and a Raptor w/telefunkins and tungsol, they sound fantastic. incredible highs. but switching to the portable cdp, still through the Raptor, the highs are tinny a bit.

it sounds very hopeful to me that you are not finding the 750 to be too source sensitive. I had been thinking of trying audio technica w5000 but many people have posted that they are exactly that.

anywho, i'm trying to figure out what to do as I can't afford to replace the iriver with a cdp that sounds better (a/b-ing it with some 600 to 800 dollar players, it sounded better on many counts, which is why I have it.

thanks again,

jimmy

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 8
I've just realized that the iRiver is in fact a portable CD player, when I was under the impression that it was merely an mp3 player.

In that case, it should have a similar, if not, better output quality as my Sony D-EJ2000, which I use quite happily with my PROline 750s and my Go-Vibe portable amp. So I'd say it shouldn't be a problem at all.
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 8
My only encounters with Ultrasone line were HFI-650.
They were not bad phones esp for portable applications but K271S are head and shoulders above them, except portability department as need some serious juice to sing.
Can't comment on Proline though.

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only encounters with Ultrasone line were HFI-650.
They were not bad phones esp for portable applications but K271S are head and shoulders above them, except portability department as need some serious juice to sing.
Can't comment on Proline though.

thanks Andrew. the feeling I got from all the posts, is that the 750 proline is a step above the ones you heard.

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 8
The Ultrasone is definitely a fine headphone. Whether it blows away something else is a completely subjective issue.

The AKG sound is definitely worth listening too. The AKG sound definitely has it's merits. But which do you enjoy more? Ultrasone or AKG. That is completely up to you.

Your opinion and mileage will vary from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back