Dec 31, 2006 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sunkinator

Head-Fier
I have a budget of $175

So how will this work out...

Beyer Dt 880's (250 ohms) $150 new
Homemade Cmoy amp $20
Gold plated connectors $5 new

Im thinking about running the 880's off my 2nd gen ipod shuffle with a homemade cmoy amp and I want to know if it will be good with music genres such as:

metal
hard rock
hip hop
R&B

Im hoping to use this system on a bus alot so it would be great if anyone could tell me if it leaks alot of sound.

Also, will the gold plated connectors make a noticable difference in SQ or is just encoding my mp3's to a 320kbps bit rate good enough?

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 13
Unless you are godlike and can make a Homemade amp the first time without messing up then yes 20 bucks. But You still have to buy the tools to make the amp. And you would need to research and know what you are doing, this will take time. I would buy a amp mabey from another head-fier or on ebay.

Also your 2g Ipod shuffle isnt that big in space right, you cant use a high bitrate but i guess anything over 192 kps is ok I suppose.

I hope this isnt your portable rig, since you do know how big those Dt 880s are. Mabey a IEM? Something like the westones um1's

If i was you I would get grado sr 60 or a iem with a pocket amp or ldm and go from there.

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 13
What I will say is that the CMoy won't have enough current to drive the DT880 (even with 18v if you run it with two batteries)... DT880 isn't a good choice for portable
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 13
I didnt want to get an sr-60 because according to the pictures im looking at, they are open so they will leak sound and piss off people on the bus
frown.gif
My dad has tons of electrical engineering experience so he will be able to help me make the amp.
Also, I only listen to a few select songs that I really like so encoding in a high bit-rate in small storage isnt too much of a problem for me.

Im kind of afraid of IEM's because 1: You need to be good at positioning them for maximum isolation and bass response.
2: You need to pay more money for an IEM to achieve the same SQ that a less expensive set of cans can provide (I dont know anything about the UM1's though)

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Mabey the K81's they are a closed type of headphones and alot of people like them. The k81 are under 80 Bucks and might be ideal for you then.

see here . . . http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164698

Also I think Duncan is right about the cmoy not going to be able to amp the dt 880 enough, but the k81 would be.

When i was thinkin of a bus, I was thinkin of the loud, crazy, high school bus I could be mistaken haha

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 13
lol, A Middle School bus but yes, still loud and crazy. is the k-81> hd-280's?

I know the 280's are good with noise isolation and many people seem to like the SQ.

B&H carries it for $73.15 so it's in the k-81 price range as well.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 13
Would the AKG's require a pocket amp or could they just be directly plugged into the ipod?

ps: 67 bucks is a steal!

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 13
You can just plug in the mp3 player and sound fine but they would sound more refined and better with an amp.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 13
If I wanted to amp it, would it be best to stick with a cmoy or should I go with a govibe?

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back