Will this power 160W 6 Ohm Speakers?
Apr 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 17
It all depends how you're planning to use this setup. It should be fine for desktop or a small room, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than 20 sq.m, especially if you expect them to go loud.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 160W rating of your speakers - they may be slightly less efficient than some 25W speakers, but will work just fine and won't cause amp overload or anything like that. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 17
Thats right, I have a 15 watt fatman itube powering some wharfdale diamond 10.1s. It works just fine for my flat. What you should be worried about is the speakers in this case is efficiently. SPL, the speaker senisitivy rating tells you how much power a speaker converts into sound. Higher SPL means it is more efficient meaning it is easier for the amp to drive. the short answer is that it should be OK. 

If your feeling adventurous you can build this type of amp yourself pretty easily. Check out this site if your interested http://www.41hz.com/forums/content.php

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 17
I have the version of that amp with SD card powering some cheeeep 5x7s in the cabin of my sailboat. It's nice for setting the mood at anchor...but not enough to generate a grinding thump. It's no better than a really cheap car stereo. Power will be limited to what comes out of the wall wart without a car battery and it may hum.
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-A68-Digital-Amplifier-Remote/dp/B00721Z1AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365034891&sr=1-1&keywords=lepai+tripath+sd+card

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
It all depends how you're planning to use this setup. It should be fine for desktop or a small room, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than 20 sq.m, especially if you expect them to go loud.

I produce electronic music, so I am wanting to use my Panasonic 8"s, as normal speakers, so I can have something to reference with... 

Quote:
If your feeling adventurous you can build this type of amp yourself pretty easily. Check out this site if your interested http://www.41hz.com/forums/content.php

That looks cool :3

I really want something quick, so I am going to just get the Lepai probably :3

Quote:
I have the version of that amp with SD card powering some cheeeep 5x7s in the cabin of my sailboat. It's nice for setting the mood at anchor...but not enough to generate a grinding thump. It's no better than a really cheap car stereo. Power will be limited to what comes out of the wall wart without a car battery and it may hum.
http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-A68-Digital-Amplifier-Remote/dp/B00721Z1AE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365034891&sr=1-1&keywords=lepai+tripath+sd+card

I am pretty sure the 2 way 20W will work fine...

So far my setup is going to be:

[size=1.7em] LP-2020A+[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
Panasonic 8" Stereo Speakers

I am interested in maybe getting the Dayton B652 or even a Dayton SUB-800... I think there stereo speakers I have pack a good punch, but a paired powered sub would be nice... I will be running this setup through my Scarlett 2i2... I listen to a lot of House, Dubstep, DnB, Glitch, Trance, and occasionally, Alternative, so I think this setup will be nice...

All in all, I just want something so after I am done producing the music I make, I can have an immediate reference, rather than going out to the car, to hear how it sounds... It's kind of impossible to test a test on monitors, or even Monoprice 8323's, cause they are both flat response components...

I read this thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers

But like I said, I already have speakers, so I'll just use what I have, cause they are more than plenty in my opinion...

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 17
Today is the day I make a choice, of which to buy...

Still wondering if I can hook the Dayton 800 straight to my Scarlett 2i2, if not I'll just get the Lepai amp...

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Today is the day I make a choice, of which to buy...

Still wondering if I can hook the Dayton 800 straight to my Scarlett 2i2, if not I'll just get the Lepai amp...

Looks like you can, but you still need a speaker amp.
I think you'll have to connect them the other way round:  Scarlett 2i2 --> Lepai --> Dayton 800 --> speakers

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Looks like you can, but you still need a speaker amp.
I think you'll have to connect them the other way round:  Scarlett 2i2 --> Lepai --> Dayton 800 --> speakers

Ya I was thinking that... I ordered the Lepai btw... I am going to use my Panasonic speakers for now, and see how they perform... If I don't like them I might either get the Dayton B652's, or the Monoprice 8250's...

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Lepai TA2020 + Floorstanders /w monster 12" woofers! On a small to even medium room = awesome (speakers were on the efficient side @ 92dB)

My Lepai just came today, and it's amazing! I have the volume on the amp @ 10 o'clock, and it's already loud enough... These 6" Panasonic speakers have decent low end, but I could definitely use a dedicated sub...

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 17
That's great. :)

I find that the Lepai does pretty good up to around 12 or 1 o'clock on the dial before distorting. But of course that depends on the strength of the input signal.

For a sub, I'd go with the Dayton 10" or 12" subs you were considering. I have not listened to them, but have heard just as good a things about them as the Lepai. The SUB 1200 digs a little deeper at it's low end than the 10" version, so that might be nice to have for some dubstep to get that room vibration effect that is from below 30hz content. But otherwise, either of those could be a very good choice in that $100 price range.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
That's great.
smily_headphones1.gif

I find that the Lepai does pretty good up to around 12 or 1 o'clock on the dial before distorting. But of course that depends on the strength of the input signal.

For a sub, I'd go with the Dayton 10" or 12" subs you were considering. I have not listened to them, but have heard just as good a things about them as the Lepai. The SUB 1200 digs a little deeper at it's low end than the 10" version, so that might be nice to have for some dubstep to get that room vibration effect that is from below 30hz content. But otherwise, either of those could be a very good choice in that $100 price range.

Ya, I have $100 to throw around, so I'll def do that :3

So happy I got the Lepai ^^ Thanks everyone <3

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 17
Be sure to add your voice to the thread about the Lepai budget system:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627161/my-very-low-budget-nearfield-desktop-rig-lepai-amp-and-dayton-audio-speakers

Good for other people to hear what other combinations of speakers people are using and how it's working. It's just hard for anyone to believe that a $20 amp can do that good a job :)

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Be sure to add your voice to the thread about the Lepai budget system:

Good for other people to hear what other combinations of speakers people are using and how it's working. It's just hard for anyone to believe that a $20 amp can do that good a job
smily_headphones1.gif

Ya dude, it's a magical piece of hardware... Now I know why people talk about it so much :3

I'll make sure to post over there sometime today... I'll make a really convincing post ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back