Will there be a jump in headphone/driver technology?
Mar 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why 125mm?

The Jecklin Electrostatic would fit your bill though. 16 square inch driver.

I like my drivers big and with insane bias voltage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck
130mm equivalent. I'll go for these once I break every mirror in my house.

Oh come on. You just have to make sure whatever room you're listening in doesn't have any mirrors.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldnt mind it if it didnt have the chance to shock me to death.

What are you going to do? Stick forks into them?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by esien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just as i thought technology for headphone driver has reached dead-end, Senn guys come up with a new one. so may be there is more room to develop

It isn't new. Its a moving coil headphone, they've just punched a hole in the middle of the diaphragm. Doesn't matter how nice it might sound. It's a small step on the moving coil side of things. It's not a new direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my drivers big and with insane bias voltage.

Indeed.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

This post is a train wreck of facts and fiction.

Dipoles are speakers not headphones? Lul Wut? A dipole transducer arrangement is any which produces a figure-8 radiation pattern, ie, the backwave mirrors the frontwave. You'll get this from almost any electrostatic loudspeaker or other planar speakers. You can get it from a moving coil speaker too if its not a box speaker.

I can't think of any dipole headphone, nor is a "speaker" a "headphone", if I'm missing some vintage kit, feel free to tell me (but as far as I know, there exist no true dipole hp's)

Quote:

Planar just means that a large flat diaphragm is employed in the transducer instead of say, a cone. You can just as easily have a dipole headphone as a dipole speaker (think of the Jecklin electrostatic as an easy example) the difference being that room mode interactions are so small as to be neglegable for headphones.

again, if I don't know of some vintage/etc 'phone, feel free to let me know, but to my knowledge, there exist no true dipole/etc hp's

Quote:

Magnepan speakers are planar magnetic, not electrostatic panels. And I don't know what you mean by "conventional dipole".

well, so much for me knowing anything about magnepan (
frown.gif
), and "conventional dipole" was meant to be a reference to speakers which exhibit the effect (redundant, I know, notice how late this was for me to be writing this? haha)

and duggeh, what ARE those ugly curved things?
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #50 of 84
I am sure we will see changes/improvements in technology. As new material and designs come to life.
But really unsure to what extend it will change/improve the sound quality. Especially considering how a 30+ year old Stax (ex. SR-Lambda) still rival the top-end models of today.

Come back in 10-20 years and wee might have the answer!
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

A crossover is used to seperate an audio signal into different frequency ranges in order to pass that signal onto the transducer best suited for its reproduction. Bass and mids for the woofer, treble for the tweeter in a standard box speaker. Bass for the woofer and mids and treble for the AMT in a Heil driver speaker. All the frequencies to the same driver in a full range speaker. More splits to more speakers in a design which uses 3, 4 or more transducers.

yes i know...but do you think using a crossover in headphones will really make a big difference? .. because in speakers..the drivers are bigger hence using a crossover can help each driver perform better.
and in Balanced Armature based IEMs...they have difficulty in handling the entire spectrum compared to dynamic like Sennheiser IE Series.

but in headphones which are easier to drive the need for crossover circuits is comparatively to Speakers & BA IEMs less felt

not that it shouldnt be tried...especially for Bass they could use a crossover which helps to give midrange of HD600 and bass impact of DT770 in Open headphones. (somewhat)

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes and no,

plasma tweeter if your crazy enough to put them next to your head is a possibility. Ulrich Haumann's DIY PLASMA TWEETER

it's been done. by a french company. search this forum for the word "plasmasonic".

3kv of corona discharge less than an inch from your head.

Just two problems:

1: your sweat destroys the driver

2: it generates ozone and other nasties

Quote:

It isn't new. Its a moving coil headphone, they've just punched a hole in the middle of the diaphragm. Doesn't matter how nice it might sound. It's a small step on the moving coil side of things. It's not a new direction.

Not even the first people to do that. Ring radiator tweeters have been around for a very long time as well - though most of them have a solid cone sticking through the middle instead of a hole in the middle. They are not particularly popular.

I do keep wondering if someone at sennheiser was literally tasked with figuring out what kind of existing transducer technology hasn't been used in a headphone yet.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #54 of 84
Quote:

What are you going to do? Stick forks into them?
rolleyes.gif

Indeed.

With me any thing is possible since I do tend to sweat around my ears unless they dont touch the ears at all.

I rather be safe then sorry. Other then me having the fear or something deadly near my ears. I wouldnt beable to enjoy music. I be too scare thinking about what may happen.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #55 of 84
Quote:

With me any thing is possible since I do tend to sweat around my ears unless they dont touch the ears at all.

I rather be safe then sorry. Other then me having the fear or something deadly near my ears. I wouldnt beable to enjoy music. I be too scare thinking about what may happen.

look. 'stats can't hurt you. not the headphones anyway.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #56 of 84
I am unaware of commercial headphones that use ribbons there is a possibly of one from Raal but I'm not holding my breath at this point. Another "missing" technology in headphones is the bending wave transducer ala manger. My ultimate missing technology for headphones would be a jump back to the use of a field coil driver, probably wouldn't be a jump forward but just cool.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #57 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look. 'stats can't hurt you. not the headphones anyway.

Thats all i needed to read, now if only they was closed back and I was rich.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #58 of 84
if someone only managed to discover how to use safely plasma drivers - ummmmmmmmmm.... - dreaming

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #59 of 84
Quote:

Thats all i needed to read, now if only they was closed back and I was rich.

there are at least two models I can think of off-hand that are closed or very nearly closed, and like has been said, its perfectly safe, stop spreadying hysteria (I almost gurantee from this thread, we'll have at least one noob posting about how electrostats will kill him, because he didn't read the entire thing)

piotr:
plasma drivers aren't inherently dangerous, they just require a constant flow of some gas, and produce ozone, its the byproduct that creates danger
wink.gif
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure we will see changes/improvements in technology. As new material and designs come to life.
But really unsure to what extend it will change/improve the sound quality. Especially considering how a 30+ year old Stax (ex. SR-Lambda) still rival the top-end models of today.

Come back in 10-20 years and wee might have the answer!
beerchug.gif

Technology is very slow. My 48s, which are based off a 50 plus yr old design better my headphones in midrange, detail, clarity, sound stage coherency, and instrument placement and seperation. I really believe people were smarter in the old days, or a perfectionist work mentality. Many believe the Egyptions performed successful brain surgery. And we still can't get close to building pyramids as accurate as the Egyptions did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back