Will there be a full-sized ipod with flashdrive?
Sep 17, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

You know, to be honest, I would probably be willing to pay 500 for a 30gb flash player...

Me too, I bought the Sony NW-HD1 when it came out (had the first one in the Netherlands Sony said) and paid €400,-
I would pay more for a >20Gb flash player, but only if it worked on a standard AA (I really hate those moments when the li-ion battery is empty at the start of a trip).

Sep 17, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by notnormal
Go read the announcement again. They've created 16 Gbit NAND chips. If combined in a normal 16x16 configuration, then that would make 32 GBytes!

An 8x16 configuation would make 16 GBytes.

Well eventually there will be terabyte flash memory portable devices. But just like everything else, it will only improve a little at a time. There aren't gonna be any 32GB flash drives anytime soon.

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou
Oh and they'll prolly have to fix that whole limited write cycles thing with flashmemory first. That and the fact that you forget HDD makers scale as fast if not faster than Memory manufacturers.

It has been said several times on head-fi before but once more won't hurt anyone. All kinds of media have a limited number of read/write cycles. Flash memory has more then HDDs and thats why flash products usually has far better warrenties, like 5-10 years, some even lifetime warrenty.
I have heard abut HDD failure, but never flash failure.

Sep 17, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Well eventually there will be terabyte flash memory portable devices. But just like everything else, it will only improve a little at a time. There aren't gonna be any 32GB flash drives anytime soon.

My point was that they can NOW manufacture 32GByte flash chips despite you claims. I never alluded to them being used in mp3 players.

Sep 17, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Tank X
Once you get past 4 or 8 gigs, the cost gets completly out of control. Would you pay $500 for a 30 gig iPod? The answer is probably no. Neither will the rest of the populace. Harddrives were chosen for MP3 players for a reason.

I'd have to give that some serious thought--about ten seconds! Definitely yes.

Sep 17, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Tank X
Once you get past 4 or 8 gigs, the cost gets completly out of control. Would you pay $500 for a 30 gig iPod? The answer is probably no. Neither will the rest of the populace. Harddrives were chosen for MP3 players for a reason.

If it were made today, the price would likely be in the THOUSANDS of dollars. $500 would be an absolute steal, if only to rip the drive out of the thing and sell it on ebay for an easy 700% profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back