Will the Xenos 0HA-REP be able to drive K501 or HD595 ?
Aug 20, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 18
No problem with driving both cans, at all. But I would probably take a warmer amp for both of them. Problem is, there aren't many around at these prices...

Perhaps the Go-Vibe v5, which should have the warm timbre, though given the op-amps it uses it shouldn't have a very abundant bass.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound
I am zeroing in on the new Xenos 0HA-REP as my first ever headphone amp. http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

I will be using it with an AKG K501 or Senn HD595 (50 ohm).
Do you think it is a good choice for these headphones ?

Based on the specs at least, it should drive it fine. Looks as though it can provide both sufficient current and gain to drive both.

As for whether it's a good choice...no idea *shrug*

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 18
It's just that the 0HA-REP certainly doesn't have the warmest, most tubey timbre. And I remember from when I had the HD595 that that's something the Senn liked
smily_headphones1.gif

But synergy is often unpredictable...

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 18
thanks all for your comments.

Andrea, I see in your sig that you are 'awaiting' the go-vibe v5. Would be nice to hear what you think about it.

Besides that, what other options do I have in about the same form factor(portable) and price range (~$100) ?

Aug 21, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 18
The Practical Devices XM3 (bought from ebay auctions). It's not quite as powerful as the Xenos, but it sounds fine and should go really well with the HD595 especially. And you could also change the op-amp to tune the sound to your taste - if you feel like it of course. It's also very well built.

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 18
Btw, for curiosity, is there anything wrong with "awaiting" in my sig? I ask since obviously this is not my first language and you've given me a doubt
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 18
I have never been able to find the spec on how much power the XM3 delivers.

Nope nothing wrong with awaiting. Sorry to give you a doubt. You conveyed the message clear that its on order and you're waiting, right ?
Well its not my first language (or even second ftmof) either, if that makes you feel any better
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 18
So is it your third language... cool
tongue.gif

The XM3 is a single chip amp, however optimized and tweaked. Therefore what it will deliver is just the power the chip that's inside can deliver. The standard OPA2134 can drive nearly all today's headphones properly, save extreme cases (like say the K1000, but that's not a today's headphone... and it may struggle a bit with some 'tough' today's AKG like the K701, but with the K501 it should be pretty much fine).

& you could always "roll" op-amps, and particularly if you're familiar with BrownDogs & soldering there would be a lot to experiment...

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Andrea I see in your sig you have modded the Xenos 0HA-REP!
cool.gif
SMD soldering of new opamps? How does it change the sound?

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
The XM3 is a single chip amp, however optimized and tweaked. Therefore what it will deliver is just the power the chip that's inside can deliver. The standard OPA2134 can drive nearly all today's headphones properly, save extreme cases (like say the K1000, but that's not a today's headphone... and it may struggle a bit with some 'tough' today's AKG like the K701, but with the K501 it should be pretty much fine).

IME the K501 is definitely on the 'tough' side... I was never satisfied with the sound until my double-stacked buf634 Pimeta. It just sounds thin and lifeless through a single-chip amp without a lot of current drive IMO.

Aug 22, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
IME the K501 is definitely on the 'tough' side... I was never satisfied with the sound until my double-stacked buf634 Pimeta. It just sounds thin and lifeless through a single-chip amp without a lot of current drive IMO.

Alright. In this case I'd put two browndogged OPA551s in the XM3 (provided that you can solder SMD). Or a browndogged AD8656 (provided that the amp is externally powered with 6V max, since this rail-to-rail chip can't stand more than 5.5V & some internal diodes cause a bit of a voltage drop with external power).

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch

well I have been using the 0HA-REP with the K501 for a couple of days now and let me tell you the amp drives those bad boys with ease! Not even close to thin and lifeless! And I haven't even really broken-in the amp yet.

Some of my "early impressions" using this amp with the K501 and KSC75 -
I think the amp has no problem with bass. Its got the juice. I find the midrange and highs are quite open and detailed. Not exactly a warm sounding amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back