Will the SR225 have enough bass?
Apr 25, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #16 of 25
When it comes to getting good bass response from a Grado, the SR225 is usually the set that is recommended, and for a good reason! The 225 is not as bright as other SR series cans, and the bass is very controlled and not boomy. I would get the 225 if I were you, it is what your looking for!
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #17 of 25
The bass is punchy on the 225 and the nice thing about all of the Grados is the 'tuneability'. Just by changing pads you can alter the sound to suit your own preferences. We're all hearing different things via Grados because of pads but that basic clarity remains in most configurations.

Ian

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 25
Todds Flats make a HUGE difference to the bass. My MS1's were transformed after swapping the comfies for them. Deeper bass,and the highs were tamed and a little less shrill. A totally new and better can. Expensive but recommended. I still craved a touch more detail though in the mids and highs after listening to (and returning due to comfort issues) some MS2's with the same pads. Got some 225's on order and hope they will do the trick for me with the Flats. Can't wait for them to arrive after listening to you lot!
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #20 of 25
^^ Not to mention their already meager soundstage. In addition I find that the flats don't just increase the bass, they noticably muddy it up. To my ears anyway.

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #22 of 25
I find the SR225's a bit bass light for my tastes with the bowls as supplied. What is there is certainly well controlled and tuneful but it is not the weightiest, not in my rig at any rate.

Switch to the flats and it transforms the sound. Suddenly there is plenty of bass and the highs are tamed. For my tastes it really improves the sound in a lot of areas. I never thought a set of different pads would make such a difference, it really is night and day.

But...., IMHO the flats muddy the mids and and it looses quite a lot of the detail which is begining to bother me, on some recordings it is really noticable.

I find if a recording is quite warm/bass heavy and I want to inject a bit of life into it the bowls are fine but on a leaner recording I prefered the added bass/warmth of the flats.

With the bowls I find myself listening at much lower volumes, they retain good levels of detail and generally still sing at really quite low volumes. If I crank them up with bowls it becomes fatiguing real quick.

Found in-line attenuators quite affective with these headphones, bit less fatiguing and adds a certain refinment to them.

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 25
"Will the SR225 have enough bass?"

Probably not.

The 225's a have excellent mid range, one that most other brands would be envious of, fast and detailed, but that where most of the magic ends. . . . . . The highs are often uncomfortably piercing. The bass that they have is of good quality, but there just isn't nearly enough of it. You can get added bass out of them by using "flat" pads, but there is a price to pay. You add more bass, but it becomes muddy, congested and unappealing, at the same time you tame some of the strident high end. So flat pads are both a blessing & a curse, as are so many aspects of the 225.

You be better off trying to find a second hand set of HF1's, or MS2's.

- augustwest

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #24 of 25
They have decent bass, but they don't go as deep as the RS-1s.

With flats you get more but lose all your highs, soundstage dies completely, and the bass becomes boomy. Other than that the flats are great.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back