Will the RX900's ever sound as clear with vocals as the RX700's?
Aug 23, 2009 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tuxedo.Bond

New Head-Fier
I tried on both before I decided to buy and definitely noticed the RX700 sounded much clearer with vocals than the RX900. The RX900 sounded like it had more bass impact.

I think I made a mistake with the RX900 as I thought after modding them they would sound much closer in vocal clarity to the RX700. So far I have removed the felt and stuck a piece of 1/8 - 1/4 inch layered batting in the back of each cup. I only have about 32 hours or so of burn in time.

Will they ever sound as clear as the RX700?

How much less bass do the RX700 provide versus the RX900?

I'm thinking maybe I should return these and buy the RX700. I like the capability of better bass, but so far the vocals sound like a blanket is over my head. I liked the extra bass the RX900 could produce for games but for anything else so far...meh

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxedo.Bond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will they ever sound as clear as the RX700?

No not without major modifications

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxedo.Bond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking maybe I should return these and buy the RX700. I like the capability of better bass, but so far the vocals sound like a blanket is over my head. I liked the extra bass the RX900 could produce for games but for anything else so far...meh

Return them

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 7
My 900s sound pretty close in the vocal area to my 700s. Maybe it's the music I listen to?

Did your 900s come with a plastic piece that covered the felt? Mine didn't, so I obviously don't have it on there. Maybe that is your problem? Try removing it completely if it's there.

Have you put dynamat in there yet? Also, many claim these require a LOT of burn in. Probably closer to, if not more than, 100 hours.

But, yeah, the 700s are always going to be more aggressive headphones. I think they're just a tad bit too aggressive for me (still sound great, though). Then again, I listen to metal. It's just "amplifying" the aggressiveness.
wink.gif
Kidding...but metal vocals tend to be more in-your-face to begin with.

Honestly, though, the bass extension is pretty similar in both headphones. One is just a bit more "full" than the other. I'd suggest a cheap Fiio amp to go with the 700s, if you get them. They'll add a little bit of extra bass in there without mudding things up, IMO.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Mine have the plastic lenses which I have not yet listened to without. I haven't used Dynamat.

Maybe some more or less stuffing would help? I'll try removing the lenses and see how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back