Will the real K500 please stand up?
Aug 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Drosera

1000+ Head-Fier
As some of you will know, the AKG K500s are available in (at least) two slightly different versions. They are most easily differentiated by the plugs, one of them is the heavy solid metal plug, the other is partly plastic and of the same type also used for the K501.
I just bought a second pair of K500 and now own the two different types. I made some pictures to illustrate several differences between the two 'phones and hope that some of the AKG experts amongst you can tell me whether these differences are regular or that I may have bought an irregular (perhaps even pieced together) specimen.

First the 'phones, they look pretty similar on first sight, apart from the plugs.

twok500sdu5.jpg

Now a close-up of the plugs. I'll use these to differentiate between the 'phones, the ones with the metal plug will be 'phone A, the ones with the plastic plug 'phone B. The plastic plug (B) is associated with an even thinner wire than is used for the metal plug (A). High time for some recabling methinks.

plugsir2.jpg

A view from the left side. You can see that the strain-reliefs are slightly different. Also, the lettering differs in size and 'phone B has a relief imprint on the headband which reads "Echt Leder" (German for "Real leather". Surprising, because it always looked rather fake to me.)

sidexw1.jpg

A view of the baffles. Not much difference between the two here, apart from the fact that 'phone B has some kind of extra protection on top of the diaphragm. It's plastic with a round piece of grey foam (rapidly disintegrating) in the middle. It can be removed and when it is, the two baffles look identical. I really don't know if this particular 'extra' was also part of the other pair of 'phones originally. It's absent from AKG's diagram of the K500.

baffleqq0.jpg

Finally, and perhaps most interesting, a close-up of the diaphragm. The diaphragm of 'phone A is quite opaque. I don't if this was the case originally, or if it's something that occurred with age. Most intriguingly, beneath the diaphragm we see a sort of 'black spoked wheel' (part of the voice-coil?). In 'phone A this wheel has 12 spokes (hard to see, I know), in 'phone B it has only 6 spokes. So this suggests that the drivers are actually slightly different.

driverws4.jpg

Finally, is there also a difference in the way they sound? Well, I only had a very quick listen up till now, but I could hardly tell the difference between the two. And the differences that I could hear, could easily be explained by a difference in wear of the pads between the two 'phones.
I know, it's a bit of an anti-climax.
tongue.gif

(Sincere apologies for possible wrong use of several terms by the way, I haven't got the headphone-jargon down yet.)

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Mmm, interesting. And you can't hear any difference yet? I just dissembled my old and broken K500, which was your Type A (just as my working K500 is). Mine also don't have the extra protection on top of the diaphragm, so that seems to be original (I mean there's nothing missing). The drivers were also opaque and have 12 spokes. That's all for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 7
No, there hardly seems to be any difference between the two versions. At least, nothing that can't be explained by a difference in wear between the pads, the slightly different cable and/or the absence/presence of that small piece of 'diaphragm-protection'. Not the kind of difference you would expect if these really contained different drivers. (I might do some more extensive and precise comparison in the future, I feel more like just listening to music now.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

But, since the plastic plug is similar to the one used for the K501, I would expect 'type B' to be the later model.

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, since the plastic plug is similar to the one used for the K501, I would expect 'type B' to be the later model.

Yes, that makes sense.

Quote:

(I might do some more extensive and precise comparison in the future, I feel more like just listening to music now.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Enjoy! I'm also in K500 heaven at the moment
happy_face1.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that makes sense.

There seems to be a gradual line from these K500 types to the version 2 of the K501 (actually probably the first version) which is reported here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy! I'm also in K500 heaven at the moment
happy_face1.gif

It's a lovely place to be.
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Thought I'd blow some life into this thread for those of you who are rediscovering the K500. I'v got the "B" version, the old one with the all gold metal plug. The K500 removeable diaphragm "protector" mentioned above is, I believe, rather a sibilance/treble filter, smoothing out the spikes in that frequency range. Found these pics on a Japanes site:

This type of cap is sometimes used for loudspeaker dome tweeers to get rid of resonances. I don't think this cap is available as a spare part from AKG - correct me if I'm wrong - but a circular piece of duct tape with a hole in the middle and some foam should give the same acoustic effect. Gonna try that to see if it tames the brightness somewhat. This might be something for K701owners to try as well. Here's a pic of the baffle of my K500 with 18 openings (6 plus 12) covered by white fabric filter:

If some of those openings were covered bass response may be improved, and brightness tamed. Room for experiments, all adventurers out there!

The K500 has a presence lift that is all too obvious if it's not amped properly. If not as insensitive as the K501, it needs plenty of juice to start singing. My Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 is fine with the HD580 (300 ohms) but can't drive the 120 ohms K500 and 501 with the same ease. For those I use my old 10 watt tube amp (with 470 ohms power resistors at the output) that makes wonders for dynamics and bass.

I'd say the K501 is more balanced with slightly better bass reproduction but the K500 is more fun to listen to. Sometimes. Right now I feel the K500 sound stage is greater - probably because it has more baffle openings - but precision of instrument placement is better with the K501. I've got the late version K501 by the way, with 7 (3 plus 4) openings covered by the fabric filter:

Of course the diaphragms are different as well, and the black plastic "star" under the dome.

Both plays music wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back