Will the IPod run the Ety ER-4s????? Yes or No?
Apr 15, 2005 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

warnsey

100+ Head-Fier
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue. Some people say that they will run just with not enough bass others say they have to have an amp.

I know everyone will say get the P or get the P with the adapter. But i want to use them predominatly with an amp just on the odd ocassion with the ipod and i don't really want to spend the extra on a cable. Can it be done without adverse affects on the ipod??

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Since the volume control has to be higher, the only adverse effect I could see is increased battery drain. Other than that, you should be fine.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue. Some people say that they will run just with not enough bass others say they have to have an amp.

Neither ER4P or ER4S (equivalent to ER4P with ER4P-24 - the adapter) are known as "bass" phones.

ER4S has a higher impedence (100ohms,) you will find that at the same volume setting, it will be significantly quieter than general consumer headphones (16-32ohms.) For this reason you will find some receiver to be lacking in volume even when you have max'ed out the volume. And as you max'ing out the volume, chances are you will get distortion, mainly because the receiver isn't capable of delivering adequate voltage/current.

Here, and among other reasons (e.g. line-out,) is when you pull out that amp, but then again you may not - I haven't... but that could be because I'm still waiting for the USPS guys to get around to it...

On the other hand, being 27ohms ER4P is in the range of most portables, so volume will not really be a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
I know everyone will say get the P or get the P with the adapter. But i want to use them predominatly with an amp just on the odd ocassion with the ipod and i don't really want to spend the extra on a cable. Can it be done without adverse affects on the ipod??

And there is a reason for that. That extra 73ohms actually affects the ER4P's audio presentation. With the cable it becomes more neutral, e.g. less warmth.

So the question is really, do you like a slightly "coloured, warmer" representation? If so, go with the ER4P.

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 10
Double posted, had nothing to do with me I swear, it was the browser.
eek.gif
etysmile.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 10
Volume isn't a problem with either, 2/3 volume with "s" is pretty loud, no distortion. Bass is comparable on both and there isn't a ton of quantity, the "p" is supposed to have more bass but the ipod rolls bass off more at lower impedence so it is pretty much a wash.

In some ways the "s" is better and in some ways the "p" is better straight from the ipod, imo they are equal overall. My recommendation would be to get "s" and get an amp later. The only advantage to getting "p" imo is you may want to use it on another portable which can't drive it, but the ipod can.

The $65 bucks for the adapter cable would be better spent towards a future amp.

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 10
IMO the ER4P NEEDS to be the ER4S, and as such NEEDS a dedicated headphone amp. Only way you can tame the sibilance monster the Etys can unleash in your head. Better get a good bass boost too (a la SM V3).

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 10
I run my ER-4P straight out of a 3rd gen iPod. Volume is more than adequate and it is easier to drive than my KSC-75. I rarely go above 2/3 of the volume bar on the iPod, even with tracks mastered with low gain.

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for all the opinions guys. This has made it a lot clearer.

Cheers

Apr 15, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 10
I think you should just get the S if you are going to use an amp most of the time. I just bought the S and usually use my amp except when I'm watching stuff on the laptop or using the ipod at the gym. As others have already said, it's probably smarter to spend the money you would have spent on the p -> s cable towards an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back