Will the Fiio E7 bring the ipod and macbook to life?
Dec 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mink70

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, a relatively newbie headphone question, though coming after a lot of experience with audiophile hifi. 

I recently bought a pair of AT M50s (to go with Shure e500s and Grados) and really like them. However, when I listen to uncompressed music files through the headphone out from my Macbook and 6gen iPod Classic, the sound is dull and uninvolving. I have no experience with headphone amps, and I know the M50s are easy to drive, but would an Fiio E7 make a difference?

Specifically, what I'd like to know is whether listening to the iPod through the LOD instead of the headphone-out make much sonic difference? I noticed that the the headphone out on the 3gen iPod Touch sounded far better than the one on mine. Will using a LOD bridge some of that difference?

Also, I'm curious whether the USB DAC in the Fiio will make much sonic difference with a 2009 13" Macbook Pro.

Thank you, kind people, in advance. Alex.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, that would depend - is "dull and uninvolving" the only problem you're having?  Something like the E7 is only really suitable if there's something more specific - like awful hiss and noise from your average crappy internal amp inside a laptop or desktop, or if it simply doesn't get loud enough.  Otherwise the E7 may not be quite what you're looking for.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Nope, no hiss or noise or volume mismatch from the Macbook. Just a kind of dull, uninvolving sound sound. Wondering whether the DAC in the e7 would bring it to life, or whether I should look at something fancier. Also wondering whether ipod->LOD->e7->m50s is much better than ipod->m50s. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back