Will the Audio Technica M50 impress a long time audiophile? If not, what would?
Aug 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
I am going to college in a few weeks and am in need of a headphones again. I've been into audio for a while now but have since sold nearly all of my gear so this is sort of my coming back to the Head-Fi community. I've had a few headphone over the last couple of years and am wondering if this long-time first-timer headphone recommendation would suit me. Yes, I've read plenty of threads both praising this gem but I've also seen a few Head-Fi'ers that don't understand what all the hype is about. 

With that said, I do still have my Gamma1 DAC and have a Sansui AU-7900 integrated amp that has a seemingly powerful headphone out. That's my gear for the moment and given the expenses that accumulate in college, that will probably remain my setup. I would prefer something closed so I can use these on the go, but then again the cord on the M50 (FWIR) is not exactly something I'd want to carry around anyway so I may be inclined to make concessions in the name of better sound quality. My budget is $150 but as always here on Head-Fi that is expandable if there is extra value to be had. No IEM's because I have found less value to be had in them as opposed to anything full sized. I have no particular sound signature preferences. 

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
The simplest answer I've ever seen here. Touché.

But it's true.  However, add on to that I would recommend the following in terms of budget:

Audio Technica ATH-M50: $160
V-MODA M80/V80: $160
Sony MDR-1R: $200
V-MODA M-100: $300
Sennheiser Momentum: $350

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I am going to college in a few weeks and am in need of a headphones again. I've been into audio for a while now but have since sold nearly all of my gear so this is sort of my coming back to the Head-Fi community. I've had a few headphone over the last couple of years and am wondering if this long-time first-timer headphone recommendation would suit me. Yes, I've read plenty of threads both praising this gem but I've also seen a few Head-Fi'ers that don't understand what all the hype is about. 
With that said, I do still have my Gamma1 DAC and have a Sansui AU-7900 integrated amp that has a seemingly powerful headphone out. That's my gear for the moment and given the expenses that accumulate in college, that will probably remain my setup. I would prefer something closed so I can use these on the go, but then again the cord on the M50 (FWIR) is not exactly something I'd want to carry around anyway so I may be inclined to make concessions in the name of better sound quality. My budget is $150 but as always here on Head-Fi that is expandable if there is extra value to be had. No IEM's because I have found less value to be had in them as opposed to anything full sized. I have no particular sound signature preferences. 

If all your using is the Gamma DAC and Sansui AU-7900, why would you need headphones for on the go?
Are you planning on carrying the Gamma and Sansui around in a backpack?

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
If all your using is the Gamma DAC and Sansui AU-7900, why would you need headphones for on the go?
Are you planning on carrying the Gamma and Sansui around in a backpack?

Haha, considering that the Sansui is a solid 30 pounds, no. I meant that I would like something to use with my desktop setup that I can also just use with my phone or laptop when need be. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Haha, considering that the Sansui is a solid 30 pounds, no. I meant that I would like something to use with my desktop setup that I can also just use with my phone or laptop when need be. 

Chances are your Sansui's headphone output has a high impedance, so headphones in the 250-Ohm to 300-Ohm range should work best with it.

The AKG K601/K612 are 120-Ohm and should also work well with a receiver.
Even the 62-Ohm AKG 7XX series might work well.

But with portable audio, like mp3 players and phones, you really want to get headphones in the 16-Ohm to 32-Ohm range, or maybe up to 50-Ohms.

With a laptop (built in audio), something in the 32-Ohm to 60-Ohm range.

You could get some JVC HA-S400 folding headphones ($30), should work great with the phone and laptop
or even the HA-S500 ($55).

And spend the rest of the cash towards headphones for use with the receiver.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 13
The JVC HAS400 sounds rather impressive. The most impressive thing about it though is that it is under $25. It sounds better than some $150+ headphones.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 13
Plugged into my phone they sound nice. I tried plugging them into my new laptop (Lenovo Yoga 13) and was sorely disappointed. I had my Gamma1 and Fiio E5 laying around so I tried using those in combination with my laptop. I'm very impressed with this humble setup.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Plugged into my phone they sound nice. I tried plugging them into my new laptop (Lenovo Yoga 13) and was sorely disappointed. I had my Gamma1 and Fiio E5 laying around so I tried using those in combination with my laptop. I'm very impressed with this humble setup.
You'll be happy for a while, then you will probably want to upgrade to something like the M100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back