Will Sony A816 hiss with Denon AH-C551?
May 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

woopididi

100+ Head-Fier
do you think that the Sony NWZ-A816 will hiss with the Denon AH-C551?(shigzeo, shed some light
cool.gif
)
the Denons are 16 ohm impdeance.
am i going to be able to notice the hiss with music going in something like 35% out of max volume?
and if so, will an impedance adapter help? where can i get one, how do i use it, will it be good to use without an amp from the Sony?

thank you everyone, have a good day!
woopididi.
tongue.gif

May 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 8
thank you. the Super.fi 5 pro has a high sensitivity so you answered my question pretty good
tongue.gif

i want to hear shigzeo's answer though
wink.gif
he claims the Sony DAPs are the most hissy DAPs out there.

May 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you. the Super.fi 5 pro has a high sensitivity so you answered my question pretty good
tongue.gif

i want to hear shigzeo's answer though
wink.gif
he claims the Sony DAPs are the most hissy DAPs out there.

i can confirm that hiss is present more so than in vision:m and touch/classic.
but!!! once the music starts it is not there. ue 5 Pro sound wonderful with this DAP.

i would not discount this player just because of hiss.

May 9, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you for your reply.
about the part that when you listen to music it disappears- what volume level do you listen to?

mp3@320, no gain
i am at home, open windows, construction right outside: 10-13 out of 30 is plenty loud. 15-16 hurts. I did raise the volume to 20 once on a very quite jazz track.

May 9, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8
the sony a800 series hiss quite a bit but it makes up for the problems with its great sound stage. and clear detailed bass with the phones you use.

i can hear the hiss even in loud environments. i listen to low volumes but the hiss is definately there. if i pause the music it hisses. if i listen to music it hisses. if i plug into the phones jack it hisses. using an imp cable with the a828 (at a store) the hiss is mostly gone.

but then again, i listen to low volumes. no other portable will however drive iems as well (other than hiss). the newer 800 series (the thin ones) have less hiss but still, very serious amount comes from them.

it is not the most i have heard but for modern players i am a little surprised. it does get slightly better sound with the er4p to s cable.

amazing portable if you live outside of japan where you can drag and drop and don't have to use sony's rubbish software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back