will running and sweating hard damage my shure e2c?
Aug 8, 2005 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

haastyle

Head-Fier
I was just wondering if running and sweatign really hard would damage my shures....do you think sweat would get into them from inside my ears, i also use the foams sleeves so those would probably absorb most of the sweat i guess...anyone run and stuff and have shures?

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 6
most of the damage of running would take its toll on the cable, so a sturdy shirt clip would be in order to stop snagging and undue tugging. also a little waterproof glue, i.e. two part resin wouldnt go amiss along the gaps in the moulding, just for peace of mind. superglue would work, it just tends to dry a bit to brittle and rough to touch. i run with my e3c, with foams and a shirt clip, have had no problem so far!.

oh, its worth putting a little sachet of dissectent (spelling?) gel in the pouch you keep them in, just to absorb and rougue moisture, but i would say this a good idea for any iem. just to keep them going a bit longer.

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks a lot guys

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 6
I recently got injuried running and now work out at the Y with my Shure E2c's. . .

The first time I used my preferred, foam sleeves. That was a really good idea, until afterwards, when they were so wet and absorbed that they didn't act like foam anymore! It took days for them to get back to foam qualities and they still didn't act new. Good thing I have extra of them. So, I thought, I'll use my soft sleeves.

Even worse of an idea. The plastic sleeves don't have a perfect seal, so what would happen, as my ears sweat was:

ear drum > small buildup of water > headphone sleeve.

The water wanted to evaporate out, but was kind of being trapped in by the headphones, until, I guess enough pressure accumulated and my ears would pop. That was incredibly annoying and once they started doing that the headphones had to come out for the entire workout.

Recently, my solution has been to dedicate a pair of the foams for workout only. Yeah, they are disgusting, but I don't care too much. First, I get a real, real good seal at the beginning of the workout, so that water doesn't really come into my ear. Then, I don't take them out. If they start to hurt or something, of course take it out, but once they come out once, that's all for that workout; you can't squeeze them enough to go back in and your ears are too wet. Once I finish my workout, I use my towel and squeeze on the sleeves. I do believe this reduces their life span but it's a better for them than keeping water logged inside of them until next time i work out. I spend about a minute on each ear getting as much water squeezed out of the foam as possible, and that's that.

hope it helps.

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
I recently got injuried running and now work out at the Y with my Shure E2c's. . .

The first time I used my preferred, foam sleeves. That was a really good idea, until afterwards, when they were so wet and absorbed that they didn't act like foam anymore! It took days for them to get back to foam qualities and they still didn't act new. Good thing I have extra of them. So, I thought, I'll use my soft sleeves.

Even worse of an idea. The plastic sleeves don't have a perfect seal, so what would happen, as my ears sweat was:

ear drum > small buildup of water > headphone sleeve.

The water wanted to evaporate out, but was kind of being trapped in by the headphones, until, I guess enough pressure accumulated and my ears would pop. That was incredibly annoying and once they started doing that the headphones had to come out for the entire workout.

Recently, my solution has been to dedicate a pair of the foams for workout only. Yeah, they are disgusting, but I don't care too much. First, I get a real, real good seal at the beginning of the workout, so that water doesn't really come into my ear. Then, I don't take them out. If they start to hurt or something, of course take it out, but once they come out once, that's all for that workout; you can't squeeze them enough to go back in and your ears are too wet. Once I finish my workout, I use my towel and squeeze on the sleeves. I do believe this reduces their life span but it's a better for them than keeping water logged inside of them until next time i work out. I spend about a minute on each ear getting as much water squeezed out of the foam as possible, and that's that.

hope it helps.

Only had one issue with the Shure e5s when they got to wet and one driver stopped working. I let it dry out that night and it has worked since. After that time I due try to swept the sweat off the earbud and near the ear ear. Just to prevent it. But I wouldn't really worry. I sweat a ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back