Will RS-1s be wasted on 0404 usb???
Apr 26, 2007 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

matt120

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I've been confusing myself more and more on forums, and have settled on a EMU 0404usb as my dac/stand in amp. I was originally going to pair this with some SR325i's and maybe add in a MAD Ear+ somewhere down the line.

I'm wondering now if it's worth blowing some extra money on the rs series. I;m currently in the USA at the mo and the strength of the exchange rate makes the rs-2's 100GBP more and the rs-1's another 100 on top of that.

My only concern is that these phones (rs1, rs2) will be wasted on the emu 0404usb until/if I get a better headphone amp. I know there's the rubbish in/rubbish out arguement but also the one where it's best to spend your money on the best phones first.

Any input would be greatly received and maybe some advice on a better dac/amp or cheap amp ($300) or better combination of headphones, amp and dac to spend approx $1000usd on.

Many thanks

Maty

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 13
The
rs1smile.gif
is never really wasted. It works with anything.

While it scales up well, it also will work out of an ipod well.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 13
The nice thing about the 0404 USB is that it has a dedicated heaphone out ("Stereo Headphone Output (114dB SNR)"), unlike the original 0404 (which i have, just big honkin' 1/4 mono line out plugs for each channel). Grados are pretty easy to drive, so this should do you in a pinch until you upgrade your chain to an external DAC (can still use the 0404 as a digital out transport) and a beefy standalone amp.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 13
damn you guys....I was hoping you were gonna say I'd be crazy to partner those together!!! Looks like I'll be buying the RS-1s and getting murdered by the gf before I have time to enjoy them! Any recommendations on the best place to buy in LA or online in the USA, and how long shipping takes?

Many thanks again

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn you guys....I was hoping you were gonna say I'd be crazy to partner those together!!! Looks like I'll be buying the RS-1s and getting murdered by the gf before I have time to enjoy them! Any recommendations on the best place to buy in LA or online in the USA, and how long shipping takes?

Many thanks again

Well, I don't want to talk you out of getting an RS model, since it really depends on your tastes. But I can say this: I have the 0404 USB, and some 325i's, and they pair up VERY nicely. I have used both the 0404's headphone out, and it's line out to a Grado RA-1, and both are very good. The built-in headphone amp on the 0404 holds up pretty well to the RA-1, so that should give you some idea of it's quality. Enjoy whatever decision you make!

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 13
I bought my RS1s from AudioAdvisor as one of their test pair. Got an awesome deal. I would buy it from a Head-Fi sponsor. Just remember, they can be a little shouty out of the box. They will settle in after some burn-in.

And start saving for a MAD Ear.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Go for it RS-1s or the RS-2s, read the reviews here, some prefer the RS-2
wink.gif

The nice thing with the woodies is their light weight, and they hold their value well besides their sonics. They are most nicely punchy playing with impact on very little ampage. The RS-2s have greater punch to their bass whereas the RS-1s do posess slightly greater (albeit small) soundstage and I thought were brighter to my ear.

I would go so far as to recommend an upgrade to your source (outboard DAC), even before springing for another upgrade to their amping. Although, I wholehartedly agree ,the Mapletree should be your eventual goal there.

Good luck~

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I would go so far as to recommend an upgrade to your source (outboard DAC), even before springing for another upgrade to their amping

What dac would you recommend? One that had a decent headphone stage would be good, until I can stomp up the cash for the Mapletree, unless there's a really cheap amp I can use as an interim solution, or later for portable use

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 13
resurrecting an old thread here, but i have the same concerns. i just got the old 0404, n i'm hooking it up to an amp, then the rs1s. mapletree will be my final destination, but is the 0404 DAC sufficient for good music? if not, wat will be the best synergy with the rs1?

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 13
The EMU 0404 usb is quite a decent dac for the price. Uses a good AKM chip.

Jun 4, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many thanks again

TTVJ, Todd will take a good care of you ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back