Will putting rockbox on an ipod improve sound quality
Aug 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

JennaFF

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I just ordered an iPod classic 4th gen, and I'm going to put rockbox on it...will it have any improved sound quality when playing lossless audio? Also, does anyone know if it is possible to change the boot splash screen?

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 47
Rockbox will not change the sound quality per se. It will just give you more equalization options to change to the sound to your liking among other things. Yes it is possible to change the splash screen, but I think you have to compile your own build.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 47
Rockboxing the ipod will give you better sound quality with your flac if you set the settings right. Remember to put YES on crossfeed. The rest of the rockbox ipod is personal taste. i found the unrockbox ipod to have no bass, but a good amount of treble.
You could also go on the iMod road. But i find them to be a waste of money.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 47

Quote:
Rockboxing the ipod will give you better sound quality with your flac if you set the settings right. Remember to put YES on crossfeed. The rest of the rockbox ipod is personal taste. i found the unrockbox ipod to have no bass, but a good amount of treble.
You could also go on the iMod road. But i find them to be a waste of money.

Thanks. I planned on doing the iMod too, but I'm gonna get my parents to make it my christmas gift.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 47
Well you rather get better headphones with the money. Lucky kid xD
What headphone you use?
Quote:
Thanks. I planned on doing the iMod too, but I'm gonna get my parents to make it my christmas gift.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 47
Haha xD sure~
Those iMod/amps/dac are just if you had the cash. The best upgrade will be your headphones. So maybe you can find better headphones with your taste in music.

Quote:
I have Grado SR80's and I LOVE THEM! And they look good with my hair XD

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 47

Quote:
Rockboxing the ipod will give you better sound quality with your flac if you set the settings right.

How come?
As before installing Rockbox the iPod is not even able to play back FLAC files - hence no comparison.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 47
I meant ALAC for Ipods.

Quote:
How come?
As before installing Rockbox the iPod is not even able to play back FLAC files - hence no comparison.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 47

You should have gotten better ones earlier then xD Well have you ever explained how headphones work and how much better new, upgraded headphones sounded
Quote:
The only thing is that my parents would just say "What's wrong with the headphones you have now!"

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 47

Quote:
You should have gotten better ones earlier then xD Well have you ever explained how headphones work and how much better new, upgraded headphones sounded

Hmmm...no, no I haven't. But I'll probably just buy headphones myself. Should I get the SR255i's and if I can afford it, an iMod iPod?

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 47

You really like Grado headphones. Well the 225i i think would be a good upgrade. Do the iMod later if you find your ipod rockbox not good enough.
Quote:
Hmmm...no, no I haven't. But I'll probably just buy headphones myself. Should I get the SR255i's and if I can afford it, an iMod iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back