Will "overclocking" my headphones damage them? (hd 598 and xonar dgx)
May 12, 2014 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Avigz

New Head-Fier
Hello there "better knowing" guys!

I have recently bought myself a new soundcard for my pc (asus xonar dgx) in the hope that the inbuild amp would give me some louder volume.
They definitely get louder, and a much better overall music experience. I just browsed through the settings of the card, and i can control the
impedance of the inbuild amp, i then turned it up to the "pro-gaming mode" as i play quite alot of CSGO, and the sound was ok at lower volumes,
better than the inbuilt soundcard, but nothing really special, so i turned it up to 64 ohm+ just to try it, and the sound of headphone got even
louder and clearer than before (at lower volumes), but i got scared and turned it back to the 32-64 ohm setting and turned up the overall volume, which helped alot with clearing the audio.
Will i damage my headphones if i use them at the 64+ ohm impendance? or is it safe?
I hope i didn't post in the wrong place, and have a nice day!

My settings(if you want to comment on them)
-Avigz

May 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't think you will. As long as there isn't any unwanted noise/buzzing/hissing coming out of the headphones, and they are even performing better than before, then you shouldn't be alarmed at all. You cannot wear them out/damage them by just upping the impedance values in the settings of the card.

Enjoy your new purchase! By the way, what sort of headphones are you using? You didn't mention that in your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back