Will our poor economy hurt hi end phone business'?
Jan 28, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will our poor economy hurt hi end phone business? - Was thinking of the HD800, with money tight these days, it's getting hard to plurge on luxury items. No political talk. No finger pointing. Stay on the topic please.

To be honest - not a lot.

When things get tough its the middle and lower middle that suffer most.

The top end does not suffer too much and the bottom end seems to gain a bit as people buy the cheaper stuff.

Also, bear in mind, that the top-end stuff is normally built to last and is only changed for technical improvements - unlike the cheaper stuff that the market dictates a new model every year or two. So you buy top-end to keep for a while and the money is better spent.

So, with headphones of the HD 800 price bracket, it won't make a lot of difference.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #32 of 39
high end yes. But i dont think the HD800 qualifies as high at all. Mid end, but certainly hi fi. I dont think mid end will take a blow because it is a niche market. Production from american companies might suffer. I'm sure chinese companies will continue to expand. Bring on the cheap electronics.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #33 of 39
I would say that hi end audio, will take a hit. The "rich" as we call them have most of there money invested in real estate, or the stock market. Most people are/were not sitting on a pile of cash. That would only provide a safety net. In this decade of greed it was common to have most all of your money "working for you!" Me I guess I am too nice to my money "I work for it!!!

I am 50 divorced and sitting on some cash! no investments. Good job. I ordered the HD 800 the second I saw headroom was taking pre-orders! Never gave it a second thought.

Then I was scanning the forsale full size headphone forum last night and saw a WTB. GS 1000 with Balanced cables. I decided on the spot I need to sell something to help offset the cost of the HD 800s.

I think that more people like me will slowly change there spending habits, it will take a while to change but hi end audio will change.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im honestly struggling to purchase anything headphone wise from America now... So it has affected a few people.

Same from a fellow West Aussie. I wanted some DT770 pro 80 cans, had to buy them broken just to afford 'em.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #35 of 39
moOfassa sez:

"But i (sic) dont think the HD800 qualifies as high at all."

You are kidding, aren't you?
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moOfassa sez:

"But i (sic) dont think the HD800 qualifies as high at all."

You are kidding, aren't you?
eek.gif

It's got me buggered how humans managed to write a dictionary eh.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was thinking of the HD800, with money tight these days, it's getting hard to plurge on luxury items. No political talk. No finger pointing. Stay on the topic please.

Audiophile > Economy
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #38 of 39
I got layoff and am taking employment insurance. So I have time to listen my K271s and to walk around this forums ............

Then after one month, my new LD MKIII and used K701 are in front of me, and a new HD650 is on the way........and I know there is a phone named HD800......

So I would say our poor economy helps Hi-end phone business.
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #39 of 39
It's all about priorities. Most listeners that enjoy high-end audio products will most likely not be affected in the way the economic slow down has affected other buyers in other segments. High-end audio will do just fine. My priorities with audio have not changed over the course of the last 20+ years. It's a passion. As with many passions, they don't change when money is concerned. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back