Will my system power hd600 well? (Little Dot I+, HOTUSB DAC)?
Nov 14, 2008 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JimmyJunk

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

So I have some upgraditis going on. I currently have the HD595 being powered by a LD I+ amp and HOTUSB DAC. I like the sound, but cant help but think there is better out there.

Im interested in the HD600, and am wondering if my system will drive them well? Or will I have to upgrade my amp first?

If the HD600 dont work, does anyone have any opinion as to another headphone that would be an upgrade for me that will work with my system?

I like classical, classic rock, female vocal, some jazz, a little rock.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 4
The HD600 should outperform the HD595 even if it is underpowered. Granted it would sound its best with a beefy amp, the HD600 should still sound pretty darn good with what you got, and should still be a step up from the HD595. I was driving my pair from a portable Corda Move for the longest time and found it outperformed my A950LTD which was much easier to drive. I would get the HD600 first and then decide from there. The HD600 would be a great choice for your musical tastes too.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyJunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys.

So I have some upgraditis going on. I currently have the HD595 being powered by a LD I+ amp and HOTUSB DAC. I like the sound, but cant help but think there is better out there.

Im interested in the HD600, and am wondering if my system will drive them well? Or will I have to upgrade my amp first?

If the HD600 dont work, does anyone have any opinion as to another headphone that would be an upgrade for me that will work with my system?

I like classical, classic rock, female vocal, some jazz, a little rock.

I think that the LD I+ has an output transformer, or is at least designed for low impedance, high current headphones. This is not the 600. For the 600, you would probably want a different amp, such as LD III or IV or IVse.

For the I+ i would say something like a grado, maybe the 325i. I don't know whether you'd like the sound sig of grados though. Something with low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back