Will my non-audiophile headphones/MP3 player setup benefit from an amp/DAC?
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DrewWaits

New Head-Fier
Firstly I wanted to say hello to all you guys here on Head-Fi. I've been on here the last couple weeks lurking and reading and trying to learn about quality sound. I'm an avid listener but I'm just starting my jump into this hobby. So far my headset usage has been limited to gaming-centric (Razer and Turtle Beach). Right now I have the Razer Kraken. I'm looking to upgrade to the Razer Electra, and using a Razer Tiamat for home gaming an listening. Sometime soon down the line I've also committed myself to purchasing some legitimate hi-fidelity headphones, namely the AKG Q701.

So I have a couple questions relating to this topic:

1) Will the Kraken or the Electra benefit from a small DAC, such as the Fiio E5, Fiio E6, or Fiio E7? I've been told that these type of headphones don't benefit from amps, but I wanted to verify this. I just chose Fiio because that's the brand I've seen most often on the net and on this site. I'm in no way limiting myself, just listing examples. I use these headphones at work so I really need something pocket-sized or clip on.

2) I'm currently using a Sandisk Clip+ for a MP3 player. I've done a bit of research and I'm currently thinking that this MP3 player has a decent internal amp, and that it wouldn't benefit from the amp because of the quality. I need to know if this MP3 player is giving me the best quality possible for my relatively low end headphones, or if a small DAC will help.

3) For Rock/Blues/Metal listening, are the Q701 a good entry-level audiophile headset? And Will the aforementioned DACs suffice or will I need a bigger stationary DAC for optimum performance.

4) Also, I'm investing in a gaming sound card for using the Tiamat's directional surround audio capabilities. Will that be useable for the Q701 to pull high quality sound or will I still need a good DAC?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys provide me with, and I appologize if some of these questions have already been answered. I tried to search around for a bit but I couldn't find an answer to the first two questions, so I thought I'd ask the rest. Thank you all very much.

*EDIT* I apologize for posting as a new member, I didn't get the automated intro message until after. So please don't rage at me too hard :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back