will my ipod be erased
Jun 25, 2005 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i'm using my ipod as a portable hard drive ATM. i need to connect it with a laptop to get some files. this laptop has itunes, but doesn't have any mp3s. my question is if i connect my ipod to this laptop, will it try to sync with it and delete all my files? i have 13 gigs of stuff and all my backups are a couple hundred miles away.

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 10
this has happened to me before. using another ipod i disable itunes' automatic sync and then hooked mine up.

not sure how to do this w/out another ipod, since the sync options are grayed out unless an ipod is connected.

Jun 25, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 10
If you're running Windows, there's a service called iPod Service (iPodService.exe) for iTunes hardware management. A wild guess is that iTunes uses that to sync with the iPod. You can disable the service with admin tools.

Jun 25, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 10
hmm, interesting, never though of that.

on winxp; press control+alt+delete

click on processes

right click on iPodservice.exe and click End Process Tree

Repeat for iTunesservice.exe(or similar).

This should disable them for a while; theyll come back on restart.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Just be careful the first time you connect that iPod to the computer. You'll be asked about syncing.

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, just make sure you dont sync.

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 10
i tried going to preferences in itunes and clicking the ipod tab, but it won't let me change ipod settings without actually connecting the ipod to the computer. will windows still recognize the ipod as an external HD if i just remove itunes completely? i assume that would get rid of my synching issue. thanks for the help... i know this really isn't an audio related topic.

Jun 25, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 10
Why dont you just go into the service mode (reset, hold rewind and select upon start up), press "Disk Mode" and then hook it up - should work fine this way.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 10
Actually if you go and read the FAQ's on apple's site they address the auto sync issue. Just tonight I used my brother in laws laptop with my iPod and all I had to do was hold down shift&ctrl keys while plugging it in util it is fully docked (about 5 to 25 secs.) and the iPod will not auto sync. Then you can go into iTunes and turn off the auto sync for good. Then you can manually do whatever you want without fear of losing you tunes in you iPod. Hope this helps.

Crewchief

Users who are viewing this thread

Back