Will my iMac correctly drive my Phillips Citiscape Utpowns to the extent I can hear FLAC/ALAC (apple's lossless) vs MP3.
Jun 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MagellanR14

100+ Head-Fier
I am comparing a hiphop song in ALAC and MP3 320 and hear no difference from iTunes on my iMac. The reason I am doing this test is because I am getting a Sony Walkman F Series PMP very soon which plays lossless and I want to know if I should invest my time in converting some of my stuff to lossless. Basically, is my iMac inferior to the Sony Walkman I am going to receive to the extent that I cannot here the difference between lossless and lossy (I think my headphones are capable of hearing the difference).

Hopefully that all made sense, thanks for the help.

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 4
If you plan to obtain better quality by converting MP3 to a Lossless format, forget it - there will be no gain by taking a lossy format and changing it to lossless. Conversely, if you plan to re-rip CDs into a lossless format that you previously ripped in a lossy format you should hear an improvement if your system has adequate resolution. Listen for the dynamics and high frequency extension changes.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
If you plan to obtain better quality by converting MP3 to a Lossless format, forget it - there will be no gain by taking a lossy format and changing it to lossless. Conversely, if you plan to re-rip CDs into a lossless format that you previously ripped in a lossy format you should hear an improvement if your system has adequate resolution. Listen for the dynamics and high frequency extension changes.

I am downloading songs from Bandcamp where I am fairly certain artists upload their music from CD's or something of that nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back