Will my Heed CanAMP be necessary if I go for a Benchmark DAC1?
Aug 7, 2008 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Neeviour

New Head-Fier
Possessing a Heed CanAMP. Modified (changed several capacitors and replaced the 5532 with LM4562, etc).

Headphone is HD650. K701 tried, like it, on plan.

Source is a Logitech Squeezebox V3, 0.25mV ripple linear PS used, no any other modifications.

Now I am thinking of getting a Benchmark DAC1. Absolutely the DAC part will be improved as I am using SB3's RCA output. The questionn: does the headphone AMP on the DAC1 work no worse than the CanAMP? Do I still need to keep the CanAMP? Thank you for your comment.

BTW, the experience of modding CanAMP (just a few days ago) really tells me, it does take quite a bit of patience (and time) for the new components to run into the right way. The first few days the modified CanAMP really disappointed me (esp. that I am using a metal-can packaged op-amp), extremely poor bass on the "fat sounding" HD650, poor stage. Now they are coming back.
darthsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 11
You will no longer need the CanAMP, the amp of the DAC1 is VERY nice and the DAC itself is incredible. Maybe sell the CanAMP and consider upgrading to the DAC1 USB or Pre? You could balance your HD650 with the Pre if you wish, but that's another story (and another amp).

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will no longer need the CanAMP, the amp of the DAC1 is VERY nice and the DAC itself is incredible. Maybe sell the CanAMP and consider upgrading to the DAC1 USB or Pre? You could balance your HD650 with the Pre if you wish, but that's another story (and another amp).

ditto and x2 on this...I would not use the HD650 out of the Heed CanAmp. I have and it was IMHO, horrible with bloated bass and a dense curtain overwhelmed them....out of my DAC1 USB amp ..... heaven....enjoy and don't look back.

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 11
DAC1 Pre seems to be quite expensive.
I prefer the way how SB3 is used. Much more convenient than PC playing.
So IMO, I do not need the USB. Surely that may cause upgrading a big problem, as the transport has been an awesome guy. With the digital output from SB3, how much can I get? I am not sure...
And how good is the AMP on DAC1 Pre? And if compared to DAC1?
If I go with DAC1 (conventional version), what AMP will be a good companion? Does DAC1 Pre worth the $700 I paid (more than the classic)? With that $700, can I get a same or better AMP?

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeviour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC1 Pre seems to be quite expensive.
I prefer the way how SB3 is used. Much more convenient than PC playing.
So IMO, I do not need the USB. Surely that may cause upgrading a big problem, as the transport has been an awesome guy. With the digital output from SB3, how much can I get? I am not sure...
And how good is the AMP on DAC1 Pre? And if compared to DAC1?
If I go with DAC1 (conventional version), what AMP will be a good companion? Does DAC1 Pre worth the $700 I paid (more than the classic)? With that $700, can I get a same or better AMP?

The Dac1 Pre is expensive, no doubt! You could certainly go with just the DAC1 if you don't need USB or preamp capabilities.

I don't exactly understand what you are saying in the middle, but being an all-in-one unit, it certainly is more limited upgrade-wise than separates, although for me that isn't a problem because the DAC1 Pre is as far as I plan to go anywhere in the immediate future. All-in-one is also low hassle, which I like.

You don't need another amp if you buy the DAC1 original, it has a damn good amp built-in. Is the DAC1 Pre worth $700 extra? If you don't need the preamp or USB capability, absolutely not. With the DAC1 Pre, you get the same amp as the original DAC1, so that should put you at ease.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 11
I was in your exact situation recently. I recently bought a DAC1. The DAC is incredible, just awesome detail. However, the amplifier is very cut and dry. The sound through the DAC1's built-in amplifier is good, no doubt, but it just sounds a little dull, the sound is kinda "in your head" if you know what I mean.

I wanted all the detail, but I also wanted wider, more textural sound and a little more lifelike quality to my music. So I bought a used Cayin ha-1a, it is on it's way to my house now.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in your exact situation recently. I recently bought a DAC1. The DAC is incredible, just awesome detail. However, the amplifier is very cut and dry. The sound through the DAC1's built-in amplifier is good, no doubt, but it just sounds a little dull, the sound is kinda "in your head" if you know what I mean.

I wanted all the detail, but I also wanted wider, more textural sound and a little more lifelike quality to my music. So I bought a used Cayin ha-1a, it is on it's way to my house now.

enjoy - the Cayin is very nice with a DAC1. rolling out the stock tubes is recommended, and tubes as "cheap" as Sovteks are a worthwhile improvement.

PACE

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 11
So it sounds like the DAC 1 would go well with tubes.
evil_smiley.gif
I am sort of considering the DAC 1 Pre as a DAC upgrade, to feed my Earmax Pro with my DT880s and to drive the Darth Beyers directly.

Does it ever end?
devil_face.gif

I also think that the Preamp capability is pretty handy and worth a few dollars. (For example, look at the fun things that Headroom are now doing with desktop amps and speakers. I think that we will see more of that.)

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it sounds like the DAC 1 would go well with tubes.
evil_smiley.gif
I am sort of considering the DAC 1 Pre as a DAC upgrade, to feed my Earmax Pro with my DT880s and to drive the Darth Beyers directly.

Does it ever end?
devil_face.gif

I also think that the Preamp capability is pretty handy and worth a few dollars. (For example, look at the fun things that Headroom are now doing with desktop amps and speakers. I think that we will see more of that.)

1. Over and over, I keep reading about the beautiful combo of DAC1 and a tube amp.

2. No, I'm starting to find it never ends. There's no curing this sickness, it slowly and relentlessly progresses to the terminal stage, bankruptcy.

3. The preamp on the DAC! Pre (and USB) are fantastic additions, they are what sold me. That and the fact that the DAC is out of this world. For now, I'm going to use the headphone amp though. Enough spending, besides, I need a pair of D5000s too and don't even get me started on cables...

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 11
I would recommend keeping the Heed amp since it's alot better than the built-in HP out of the DAC1. Like what the other person commented, it's cut and dry , fatiguing at times. The DAC1 built-in amp has plenty of juice to power any headphones but you might not like the sound out of it.

In my opinion, if you're not going balance it's probably better to go with a stello DA100 ... cheaper and its on par with the DAC1 as far as SQ. My .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back