Will my Electric Ave PAV2 power Senn HD-650's?
Apr 28, 2005 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Stephan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a Pocket Amp v2 which I use to drive my Ety ER-4P's, and I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's off Ebay for $290 plus shipping (I think thats a good deal for brand new NON refurbished). Will that little amp have enough power to drive these cans? Thanks.

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 11
the amp will drive the HD650's to a certain extent, but definitely not its full potential. you will need a much better amp.

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 11
At first, they'll be ok for the Senns until the batteries start to fade. Then clipping starts to rear its ugly head with loud bass sounds if you turn the volume up. Are the Senns 600 or 300 ohm? I can drive Beyer DT770 with PA2 until those batteries start to go and then I have to decrease the volume in order to run them down as much as possible before a recharge.

I do like the PA2 though. Soon to receive a Go-Vibe which I look forward to in order to hear differences when driving quite difficult loads.

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 11
I thought that lithium ion was ok to charge any time and nickels - up to a point. I'm so old fashioned, I keep wanting to flatten them out before charging. Just a habit I suppose.

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Lithium-Ion is kind of the opposite. You should avoid completely draining them before charging.

Ni-Cad are the ones with the infamous "memory*" effect

*I use this term loosely.

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan
Hi,

I have a Pocket Amp v2 which I use to drive my Ety ER-4P's, and I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's off Ebay for $290 plus shipping (I think thats a good deal for brand new NON refurbished). Will that little amp have enough power to drive these cans? Thanks.

The 650s are not easily driven. You will probably have to tell us if the Pocket Amp is suitable. I doubt many people are pushing the 650s with just a Pocket Amp. Try searching for "650" and "cmoy" and see if people are driving them with cmoys which I believe are similar to the Pocket Amp soundwise (this is just from what I have read here as I have neither).

The 650s also need some burn in time. Withhold judgement on if the Pocket Amp is adequate for you until you get 50-100 hours on the Senns. If at that point the Senns sound slow or muddy, you need a stronger amp.

Does the Pocket Amp make a big difference with your Etys?

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonoh

Does the Pocket Amp make a big difference with your Etys?

The Pocket Amp makes a huuuge difference with the ER-4P's. The bass is alot stronger, and the sound is just plain cleaner when played loud. Vocals really seem to come on stronger when amped. I want to get the ER-6 adaptor and see what a difference that makes.

Apr 29, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle
Hmmm I wonder if the effects of a PA2V2 will be similar on the 580's they are 300ohms.

On fresh batteries they'll probably be ok. It's further down the power scale where things could get worse. I'll try it.

Personally, for 580's, I'd use something a bit higher up the ladder. I have 580's and PA2 does drive them but I prefer something better with phones of this quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back