Will my amp be broken if.....
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...I have a question...

I just bought an low impedance ATH esw10jpn heaphone...If I were to use it with my OTL tube amp (LD MK 3), will it have negative effect to either the headphone or the amp?

as for the impedance adapter, what does it do? Does it only increase the impedance so that more current is drawn to my headphone?

Does more current means louder volume or? So I mean as long as I can listen to loud enough volume, I do not need to worry about any of impedance or current?

Thanks guys

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I just checked on audiocubes, the says the ESW10JPN - 'Largest input: 1,000mW' which is more than what most headphone amps can put out, so you'll be fine.

lol there will probably no negative effects, you might not hear a big improvement because these OTL tubes have a high output impedance and plus, the ESW10JPN is pretty efficient, but then again you might.... Current is measure of the number of electrons flowing through, we use these terms to describe how electronics work, it's good to know but not vital for your enjoyment of the music, no. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 5
So basically when I crank the volume knob up? does it increase the current going through my phones to get more power?

for OTL amp, does it means the higher the impedance of the headphone the higher the current drawn from the amp? then why for higher impedance phone, the volume is lower?

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
So basically when I crank the volume knob up? does it increase the current going through my phones to get more power?

for OTL amp, does it means the higher the impedance of the headphone the higher the current drawn from the amp? then why for higher impedance phone, the volume is lower?

The first question is yes.
The second you have it backward, the higher the impedance the lower the current. That's why with high impedance phone the volume is lower hence the need to crank the volume knob or the gain switch up.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 5
The impedance and the drivers' sensitivity work together to determine volume, there exist low impedance but not very sensitive headphones (HE-5) that still need a lot of voltage to sound right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back