Will MS-1i be an upgrade? Delaying the shipping has made me second guess...
Jun 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Adreneline

100+ Head-Fier
I love the JVC RX700 and have put in an order for MS1i. It has been two weeks+ since, and not even credit card charged yet (which sucks because the conversion rate was better back then .. USD --> CDN).

I am now second guessing if I want them, the 'lack' of bass might make me feel like it's less full (especially coming from the RX700s), I am not so sure anymore.

I listen to a lot of rock (Muse being one of the top, and others like Arctic Monkeys, Silverchair, etc.), metal, and some other stuff like Daft Punk, Radiohead, Infected Mushroom, and etc. Mostly metal/rock/alternative though with some techno-ish stuff like Daft Punk thrown in once in a while.

I find the bass on the RX700 to be great. I have them amped so they aren't boomy (don't like the boomyness and much sloppier bass when unamped).

I wonder how the MS1i is going to compete... I understand it will excel at the rock/metal genres, but I already find them good.... will it be a nice upgrade? Anyone own both can shed some light?

Thanks a lot.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for your input.

That's good to know. Any other headphone (Canadian, under $150) that would be a better choice? I understand the MS1 has like little to no soundstage but, would I care for the genres I listed? Muse is probably my favorite band all-time and while they are rock, they do have a lot of songs that are kinda spacey and do have some soundstage to them. Not sure...

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your input.

That's good to know. Any other headphone (Canadian, under $150) that would be a better choice? I understand the MS1 has like little to no soundstage but, would I care for the genres I listed? Muse is probably my favorite band all-time and while they are rock, they do have a lot of songs that are kinda spacey and do have some soundstage to them. Not sure...

Good point there, i wouldnt care for smaller soundstage for my genres.

Indeed i didnt like the way dt880 reproducts my fav bands 'cause of big soundstage, so i stick to my ms1's for that reason with some other drawbacks.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 19
It has occurred to me that a lot of this "soundstage" talk on Head-Fi is really just "recessed midrange". There is a reversible mod to increase the soundstage, dubbed the "MS1000", founded by nickchen. Be prepared to fork out additional $50-80 for the mod (~$60 for the GS1000 pads, and around $5 for distancer material, plus tools and what not, particularly hole-saws).

Do the MS-1 a favour, and give it a good ~150 hours of burn in. Pick out what you like and what you don't like about the Grado sound. Proceed with the mod if necessary.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 19
The Alessandro line is more neutral sounding than the Grado SR line. Some say less aggressive, some say more neutral that is.
wink.gif

Anyhow, both lines will work great with the genres you listed but they won't offer you a very big soundstage. At least they will have enough bass for any normal person.
tongue.gif

Just give the MS-1s a try. Order some HD414 or bowl pads with them and experiment a little. For 100$ shipped... They are quite the deal and many more people share that though, including people that have heard hundreds of headphones.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks guys.

Yeah I read about the MS-1000 a lot before, and it seemed interesting, but I don't know. I'm really indecisive when upgrading, I'm scared to choose another headphone, worried that I might not like it.

The AD700 has no bass and huge soundstage which isn't needed for rock, the MS-1 is no soundstage, better bass, but takes forever to ship, grattle sound which I don't know is a problem anymore, and the build quality seems lower than the rest (durability too). I don't know any other options I might consider. SR-80i (hell even the SR-60i), are both over the MS-1's price if I order from a native Canadian site. The SR60 is $119 before tax and shipping ($~145) and the SR80 is around $180.

Also, I might get customs/duties when I receive the MS1... something else to think about, argh! lol. Canada sucks.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 19
this regret-period is normal, and should be over when the MS1's arrive
wink.gif

If you somehow don't like them, you can always put them on the FS forum and get a good deal of your money back and you will at least have one additional reference for eventual future purchases.

of course, if you are actually happy with what you have now, you can cancel it and just enjoy the rx700

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 19
I didn't get taxed when my MS-1 arrived this January, in fact, I have not been charged for customs or tax at all for two other purchases through Head-Fi (Yuin OK2 and PK1). You should really send Alessandro an email, or call them to see what's up. Mine came in a week.

I think you're fine as long as the seller doesn't under declare.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't get taxed when my MS-1 arrived this January, in fact, I have not been charged for customs or tax at all for two other purchases through Head-Fi (Yuin OK2 and PK1). You should really send Alessandro an email, or call them to see what's up. Mine came in a week.

I think you're fine as long as the seller doesn't under declare.

What? I bought from Alessandro's site. Not from users on the FS forum.

They had an 'unexpected delay' in their production for the MS1s thats why it's taking a while. It was suppose to be ready last week but now the estimate is 1-2 more weeks.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 19
Probably the HF2 ruining things for the non-FOTM-followers
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 19
MS-1's something of a no-brainer, I think. I didn't like it, but I managed to sell it off very quickly for minimal loss. They're not a massive investment, are popular, and are therefore easy to sell if it's not your cup of tea.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has occurred to me that a lot of this "soundstage" talk on Head-Fi is really just "recessed midrange". There is a reversible mod to increase the soundstage, dubbed the "MS1000", founded by nickchen. Be prepared to fork out additional $50-80 for the mod (~$60 for the GS1000 pads, and around $5 for distancer material, plus tools and what not, particularly hole-saws).

Do the MS-1 a favour, and give it a good ~150 hours of burn in. Pick out what you like and what you don't like about the Grado sound. Proceed with the mod if necessary.

Quoted for truth on both aspects. The MS1000's are really a night and day difference compared to their unmodified donors. The bass seems to be a little less boomy but slightly quicker and a little less pronounced (still there). If you want some of the bass back, burnin really does matter. I used 200+ hours with pink noise, sine sweeps and some bass heavy drum stuff. Made the bass that much more pronounced.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 19
Thanks guys.

I was eyeing those HA-DX1 but, I already have closed headphones. I wanted to try open, just not sure....

Anyone own both the RX700 and MS1? Some people said the RX700 had a small soundstage, and I'm wondering whether the MS1 is even smaller, around the same, or slightly bigger than it.

As of right now I'm not sure.... I might cancel them if they don't ship next week. I'm just not sure of any alternatives.. bah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back