Will M-Audio Transit let me hear just music?
Jan 20, 2006 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
I am considering buying a modified usb source (the kind offered by red wine and empirical). These are both modified M-Audio Transits, and therefore will use M-Audio's drivers to operate.

My question is how does the driver operate with regard to sound output from multiple sources. I will be using iTunes, and want to be able to send iTunes output to the Transit, but not all my computer's other sounds (who needs beeps through the headphones?). Similarly, I don't want the music coming out of my computer speakers, but I would still like the rest of the computer's audio output to come through the computer speakers. Is it possible to set up my system this way with a Transit, or is it all or nothing?

Thanks,
Matt.

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 7
yes it is possible. you can select for all windows sound to go through your default sound card, and your music through the Transit. I do not know whether iTunes allows you to select the soundcard, but I know its possible in Foobar. so in this case, iTunes might not work as a player for this setup.

you can view all your sound settings in the M-Audio icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Both those places are VASTLY over priced. The Monica 2 DAC used in Red Wine's DAC costs only $80! The Transit I've seen for $50. Do yourself a favour and post on the DIY forum about modding them yourself. You'll save a packet, and maybe even have some fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 7
if you get the iTunes multi-plugin (free) you can select the option of using foobar as your output. Selection of the output is catered for in foobar and as stated above you can have the default beeps and windows noises through the standard soundcard and direct the quality music through the other 'usb' soundcard via foobar to iTunes. I know as that's what I do.

Steve

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 7
The easiest way to do what you described is also the same way you get the best quality listening out of your Transit. The Transit is an ASIO device, which means you can have Foobar (and I believe iTunes also has an ASIO plugin now) use ASIO to send bit-perfect audio to your device, and in the process bypassing k-mixer.

Essentially what this means is that you can mute all of the volume controls on your PC and still hear your music. See my signature for a link to the ASIO plugin.

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revliskciuq
The easiest way to do what you described is also the same way you get the best quality listening out of your Transit. The Transit is an ASIO device, which means you can have Foobar (and I believe iTunes also has an ASIO plugin now) use ASIO to send bit-perfect audio to your device, and in the process bypassing k-mixer.

Essentially what this means is that you can mute all of the volume controls on your PC and still hear your music. See my signature for a link to the ASIO plugin.

What is your current setup for the Transit? Does yours exhibit the clipping? I'd appreciate it if you posted on how you setup the Transit, thanks.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 7
Driver version: 5.10.00.54

I have the latency set to Very High and the operation mode to 2-in, 2-out , 24bit 8000hz to 48000hz.

I use the EXE version of ASIO; my settings in Foobar for the ASIO output are as follows:

Process Priority: High
Thread Priority: Highest
Buffer Size: 7

In Foobar playback settings I output to 24-bit, and I have the Playback Thread Priority set to a notch below max.

I use the optical output to an external DAC (as per my signature); I don't experience any clipping issues.

What's your setup that's giving you the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back