Will M-Audio BX5 D2 (or any, for that matter) speakers benefit from a DAC?
Jan 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dizmo

New Head-Fier
So, I'd like to use these speakers with my computer.
I've been told that a DAC doesn't really make a difference when it comes to speakers, and I was wondering if this were true?

My main reason for getting a DAC, is that the monitors will be placed quite far back on the desk and I'd like volume control via a knob close to me. Something I'd be willing to pay the money for.
It just seems odd to me that a DAC would be considered useless when it's in virtually all audio equipment?
Can someone provide a little light on this for me?

Also, I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 2
I had a Swans D1080MkII monitor and I didn't like my laptop nor my DAC (Ibasso D-Zero) completely, but I still prefer the DAC. Out of the headphone out on my Acer laptop the sound was harsh, particularly with vocals, and the imaging wasn't too precise. D-Zero was a little better with imaging, but instead of harsh, it was too warm for my tastes. I still have the D-Zero though since I never know when power might be out and it since it works with my Android, I can still use it on my HD600 during a black out. If that isn't a concern I'd recommend the Schiit Modi or the ODAC - based on reviews those are neutral and transparent, but of course that means any bad recordings will really sound bad on these, so YMMV. You might also want to try DACs that have a headphone amplifier built in, plus a preamplifier output that passes through its potentiometer, that way you can use the same volume knob on headphones and speakers (just unplug the headphones when using speakers as some can detect it and disable other outputs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back