Will loud fans(pc) affect open back headphone?
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thisisit

New Head-Fier
Considering buy a headphone for gaming. But I concern when I play those triple A titles game, the noise will go through the open-back headphone. Will it a problem? Also, anyone suggestion for a fun sound headphone instead of focusing on positional audio headphone for gaming. My budget is under 200%, thanks.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 15
I can't really hear a tower fan blowing behind me when wearing my DT880's for the most part SO.. I think you'll be ok..

unfortunately my wife can hear my DT880's from another room while gaming =\ and as such I mostly wear my DT770 Pro 80's ... I have no reservations recommending either of these... with the caveat you need an amp and ideally a tube amp /or warm sounding SS amp for the DT880's as the highs can be ummmm.. sharp/harsh... paired w/ my DV336 I quite like the DT880's (mine are 250's).

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 15
>My budget is under 200%
But cheapo fun phones are the Fidelio X2s.
O
I can't really hear a tower fan blowing behind me when wearing my DT880's for the most part SO.. I think you'll be ok..

unfortunately my wife can hear my DT880's from another room while gaming =\ and as such I mostly wear my DT770 Pro 80's ... I have no reservations recommending either of these... with the caveat you need an amp and ideally a tube amp /or warm sounding SS amp for the DT880's as the highs can be ummmm.. sharp/harsh... paired w/ my DV336 I quite like the DT880's (mine are 250's).
Thanks for your info :dt880smile:

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 15
>My budget is under 200%
But cheapo fun phones are the Fidelio X2s.
Well, don't know much about headphone. I just learn that there are categories like open back, semi open, and close back this month. Maybe a easy way to describe "fun" for me is which headphone are better than my only headphone m50 for gaming. I could spend more on it but I may need a good amp for it ganna be also hundred.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 15
Imaging is more a function of accuracy than soundstage. Closed back headphones (and surprisingly iems) are more than competent enough to accomplish this. If sound leakage is your primary concern go for closed backs, and I would go for the DT770s that someone mentioned earlier. If leakage isn't an issue, the X2 mentioned is great, and doesn't require an amp, which is a huge plus. For budget open-backs that don't need amps, I'd also throw the HD558 and HD598 on the heap for gaming options sub-200. You'll probably have to find the 558's used though. The X2s are more competent as music listeners, but I find the 558 and 598 do music "okay" (no bass), but as gaming headphones they're every bit as competent, better in accurate imaging (imo), and are more comfortable to wear for extended usage. If the little brothers are okay, I've heard good things about the Philips SHP9500, but I haven't personally heard them.

Some others I've seen recommended, but that I have no experience with: SoundMagic HP 100/150 or HP200, Meze 99

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 15
Imaging is more a function of accuracy than soundstage. Closed back headphones (and surprisingly iems) are more than competent enough to accomplish this. If sound leakage is your primary concern go for closed backs, and I would go for the DT770s that someone mentioned earlier. If leakage isn't an issue, the X2 mentioned is great, and doesn't require an amp, which is a huge plus. For budget open-backs that don't need amps, I'd also throw the HD558 and HD598 on the heap for gaming options sub-200. You'll probably have to find the 558's used though. The X2s are more competent as music listeners, but I find the 558 and 598 do music "okay" (no bass), but as gaming headphones they're every bit as competent, better in accurate imaging (imo), and are more comfortable to wear for extended usage. If the little brothers are okay, I've heard good things about the Philips SHP9500, but I haven't personally heard them.

Some others I've seen recommended, but that I have no experience with: SoundMagic HP 100/150 or HP200, Meze 99
Thanks. sound leakage is fine for me, I am just afraid if I can hear the noise from my pc when it run heavy. I am deciding between dt770, dt990 and hd 598 sr, I may try dt990 first.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 15
If budget is limited, I'd recommend 598. The Beyers may reach volume without amp, but they won't sound like they cost until they are amped.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 15
oh man DT990's some people love em.... I can't even listen to them.. so much trebble.. if getting the DT990's DEMO them first or buy from someplace w/ decent return policy (i mean ideally for any headphones i guess) but the 990's freaking kill my with the highs...

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks. sound leakage is fine for me, I am just afraid if I can hear the noise from my pc when it run heavy. I am deciding between dt770, dt990 and hd 598 sr, I may try dt990 first.

Of those 3 headphones, the DT990 is IMO the best. I've owned all 3 headphones and for gaming, movies and music, the DT990 was also the most compatible. Also, - there is basically nothing behind the drivers of the HD598..so if your computer fan is loud then this will definitely affect your experience whereas the DT990 has some sound isolating material behind it's drivers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 15
Do you have an amp?

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 15
Of those 3 headphones, the DT990 is IMO the best. I've owned all 3 headphones and for gaming, movies and music, the DT990 was the most compatible. Also, - there is basically nothing behind the drivers of the HD598..so if your computer fan is loud then this will definitely affect your experience whereas the DT990 has some sound isolating material behind it's drivers.

Hope this helps.
The DT990 was okay. I found the same issues with strong treble as mentioned earlier. I think the 770 would be the safer bet, especially since it's closed. I don't think there was a functional difference in sound pollution between the 598 and DT990. I have a friend running the 558's with a gaming rig right next to him, with no issues of sound pollution.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 15
The DT990 was okay. I found the same issues with strong treble as mentioned earlier. I think the 770 would be the safer bet, especially since it's closed. I don't think there was a functional difference in sound pollution between the 598 and DT990. I have a friend running the 558's with a gaming rig right next to him, with no issues of sound pollution.

I had no issues with the DT990 at all. I guess everyone hears differently and some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies. I agree that for the OP, the DT770 is probably the safer bet. It does of course depend on how loud his computers fan gets. Some computers can overheat very quickly and can get really loud.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 15
oh... man... for me the magni + 990 would be way to
o bright... the trebble on them 990's is quite "present" I haven't heard a magni 3 but the 2 I heard was a sort of (not super bad...or anything) bright also... I would think looking at the Valhalla would be a safer bet..

but then again.. nothing safe about buying DT990's ... =p no sorry just kidding..but they are too bright for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back