Will it matter if I don't break in headphones
Jun 6, 2002 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Eddie500

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of grado sr80 headphones. I was not planning on breaking them in until I have been reading here about what people are saying about breaking in. The question is, is it like a car engine where if I don't break it in, in the begenning I can have countless problems down the road (or worse sounding headphones), or is a breakin only something to get my headphones sounding better quicker?

Can I just not break them in and they will sound just as good in a year of normal use, then in a year if I had broken them in?

THanks

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Eddie500
The question is, is it like a car engine where if I don't break it in, in the begenning I can have countless problems down the road (or worse sounding headphones), or is a breakin only something to get my headphones sounding better quicker?

The latter. Quote:

Can I just not break them in and they will sound just as good in a year of normal use, then in a year if I had broken them in?

Yes.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, breaking in the headphones will happen naturally as you listen to them. The reason people go through a "breaking in" process, is because they don't want to have to wait such a long time until their headphones sound their best.

Jun 6, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 7
Break-in is kind of like the big urban legend of headphones. Everyone always talks about it, despite the fact that there's no evidence for it and the headphone manufacturers themselves say it's not necessary.

Jun 6, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 7
don't worry man. if it helps or not, you can't not break em in. if you decide to not use voodoo tho, thats up to you
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, if I had to listen to Grados, I'd find a dealer that carrys the most powerfull Krell speaker Amp, then I'd run a 5khz test tone at full power rating till the highs 'break in'.

Jun 6, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Just use them, be happy, and enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back