Will it be able to drive HD555/580/595?
Feb 18, 2006 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jackus

New Head-Fier
Hey.

Considering an open set of headphones for use in the home, with my iMac, and sometimes with my iPod nano around the house. Will these two devices be powerful enough to drive one of the headphones listed above (not made my mind up which yet)? Senn HD555, HD580, or HD595. Also, with the setup I have, will it be worth spending more (ie. getting better than the 555), or will I not be able to tell the difference unless I get an amp?

Thanks

-Jack

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 11
The 555 is the model below the 595.

The 580/595 are sort of on the same level.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 11
OK I have the 555s on my head, plugged straight into an ipod mini - don't have a nano around to try
frown.gif

It goes loud and bass is fine. Quality is bearable but certainly not great - very little treble and a lot of the "energy" in the music is lost. Mileage on the 595 will be the same. My sound card is more capable of powering the 555s and 595s than the mini.

Now the 600s which have same drivers as 580. Er - where's the music? Volume is completely up, and it's really quiet. It just can't do it.

Also, the 555s have a big 1/4" plug and come with an adapter. That's a big stick coming out of your ipod which you could easily snap off... If you're going to buy them, I suggest getting a Sennheiser headphone adapter - like the one on this page.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/cables.htm

In your situation 580s probably wouldn't suit; 300 ohms vs 50 ohms - guess which one's hard to drive!? In terms of 555 vs 595, yes you'll notice a difference regardless of amp, and IMO it's worth it; wish I had bought 595 rather than 555.

If I were you, I'd get HD595s for the iMac and Sony EX71SLW or similar earphones for the nano. IMO the EX71SLW are excellent value - I love them, and you don't look strange wearing them in public. EX71SL is black; W denotes white.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...040499-5226825

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
OK I have the 555s on my head, plugged straight into an ipod mini - don't have a nano around to try
frown.gif

It goes loud and bass is fine. Quality is bearable but certainly not great - very little treble and a lot of the "energy" in the music is lost. Mileage on the 595 will be the same.

Now the 600s which have same drivers as 580. Er - where's the music? Volume is completely up, and it's really quiet. It just can't do it.

Also, the 555s have a big 1/4" plug and come with an adapter. That's a big stick coming out of your ipod which you could easily snap off... If you're going to buy them, I suggest getting a Sennheiser headphone adapter - like the one on this page.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/cables.htm

Thanks. The headphone adaptor seems like a good idea.

Should my iMac be more powerful when it comes to the audio output? That doesn't sound to good on the iPod front
frown.gif

All I can find out about the audio on my iMac is this:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Available Devices:
Line Out:
Connection:1/8 inch Jack

Microphone:
Connection:Internal
Speaker:
Connection:Internal
Line In:
Connection:1/8 inch Jack
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection:Optical

Any one have any further thoughts? Thanks very much.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Senny FTW and I have the 555s 595s and 600s. The Apple iMac will power the 555s and the 595s more than adequately. As for the 600s (same driver as 580, 590), even on the full volume of the iMac you will barely be able to hear anything.

As for the 555s VS the 595s, in my opinion the 555s lack the clarity and soundstage of the 595s. If you can stretch to the 595s, then there's your solution!
eggosmile.gif

//Edit ... Just tried the 595s on my Ipod. Isn't the loudest thing i've ever heard, but is Okay
biggrin.gif
The Sonys that Senny mentioned are incredible on the Ipod, some of the best money i've ever spend on headfone equipment!

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Should my iMac be more powerful when it comes to the audio output?

All I can say is my laptop and PC, with normal in-built soundcards, can power the 555 and 595s fine, and much better than the mini. Amp sounds better, sure, but they're perfectly capable of plugging into computer and sounding good.

You do NOT want 580s because they're 300 ohms and meant to be amped. iMac or Mini, you don't want unamped 580s.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
In your situation 580s probably wouldn't suit; 300 ohms vs 50 ohms - guess which one's hard to drive!? In terms of 555 vs 595, yes you'll notice a difference regardless of amp, and IMO it's worth it; wish I had bought 595 rather than 555.

If I were you, I'd get HD595s for the iMac and Sony EX71SLW or similar earphones for the nano. IMO the EX71SLW are excellent value - I love them, and you don't look strange wearing them in public. EX71SL is black; W denotes white.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...040499-5226825

Perfect, thanks. I already have the EX71's for my iPod, they are nice, but sometimes a little annoying, when you don't want in ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also have some Senn HD212 Pro's.. heavy sounding..

I think from what you have all said, the HD595 should be the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif
I did search around a bit, and they seem to be the best, most comfortable headphone for that price, unless any of you think I am missing something crucial....?
redface.gif

Thanks very much senny-ftw and anonTheMouse - very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackus
Perfect, thanks. I already have the EX71's for my iPod, they are nice, but sometimes a little annoying, when you don't want in ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
I also have some Senn HD212 Pro's.. heavy sounding..

I think from what you have all said, the HD595 should be the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif
I did search around a bit, and they seem to be the best, most comfortable headphone for that price, unless any of you think I am missing something crucial....?
redface.gif

Thanks very much senny-ftw and anonTheMouse - very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

No problems mate, let us know how you get on
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back