Will iPod 5G with PocketDock sound = to a sub-$100 Sony DVD-P
May 9, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, I currently do most of my listening on my Grado RS-1 / RA-1 Combo at my office desk.

Currently I line into my RA-1 Play CD-s through one of my two sub $100 Sony DVD Players.

I have a dvp-pq1 and another $80 Sony unit from Target that I swap depending on where I play discs. I am very happy with the setups sound quality but I want to get an iPod now that they can handle lossless collections (HD size/buffer/battery/etc)

If I got a new iPod 5G and loaded up my lossless collection on there and used a pocketdock and a decent line-out cable to my RA-1 would I be at similar sound quality level or possibly higher/lower.

Unfortunatly I can not audition the ipod.

May 9, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 3
I did a direct A/B comparison of my iPod playing an AIFF file to my midrange Sony CD player and my Philips DVD/SACD player with upsampling. It was exactly the same.

Unless you plan to use it to replace the CD player in your home system, lossless is overkill though. 256 AAC will sound just as good in most conditions you'd use a portable DAP, and you'll be able to fit a LOT more music in your pocket.

See ya
Steve

May 9, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Probably the same. At such a level the bit rate is probably the deciding factor here and since it's cd-quality in both cases I think they'd be relatively the same unless one of the two had output noise (most likely the dvd player, not the pocketdock lineout).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back