will ibasso D2 suffice as DAC for desktop amp???
May 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jewmeister

100+ Head-Fier
I have just recently saved up enough to enter the world of amplification. I was thinking of picking up a little dot MK II or III and was wondering if getting a D2 for my portable DAC/AMP will suffice as a desktop DAC, or if I should get a dedicated USB DAC like the Fubar II ?

THANKS A TON YOU GUYS!!!

May 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 9
I am planning on buying a desktop amp like the Little dot mkII, as well as a portable amp. I was thinking I could get a nicer portable amp with DAC like the D2 and use it as my desktop DAC as well. I will be using my MS-1000 or HD280 at home and will be picking up some SRH840's. I also have sf5p.
I guess my dilemma is, I wont be happy paying 170 for the D2 if it wont last as a DAC for IBM->DAC->Little dot.... so would it be worthwhile to spread out my purchases and spend more overall. I have about $200 to spend at this point assuming i go with the MKII.

May 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 9
I wanted to go the same way and got a portable amp with dac.
But I was not too happy with the prformance of the DAC so I sold it again.
Now I do own a portable amp, an USB DAC and a desktop amp and am really happy with the performance of all parts.

Jochen

May 14, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Gotcha. No, I wouldn't go with the iBasso D2, because you can't use it as a straight DAC. The D10 can be used as a straight DAC. If you plan to get a straight DAC, I recommend you choose one that also has coax and optical inputs like the D10.

May 14, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 9
Interesting note on the D10. I wasn't planning on upgrading to anything with coax or optical for awhile so thats why i wasn't considering the D10. Will it act as a straight DAC with mini or RCA input? if so will it fit the profile? At this point I feel like I might be happiest with a FubarII and a D4/hotaudio $100 range.

May 14, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting note on the D10. I wasn't planning on upgrading to anything with coax or optical for awhile so thats why i wasn't considering the D10. Will it act as a straight DAC with mini or RCA input? if so will it fit the profile? At this point I feel like I might be happiest with a FubarII and a D4/hotaudio $100 range.

I think you mean will act as a straight AMP with mini or RCA input. Yes on the mini, no on RCA. Stand alone DACs take USB and/or coax S/PDIF and/or optical S/PDIF.

I think hotaudio40's USB dac's are a good option if you are on a budget.
If you can afford $200, get the EMU 0404 USB. It is the best standalone DAC IMHO (also has a decent headphone amp built in) for the money, and you will never need to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back