Will I notice an improvement?
Dec 6, 2011 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

todd89

New Head-Fier
First impressions of the beyer dt770 80 ohm is somewhat mixed. I like music and games, so I did my research and found this version to accommodate my needs. I played them with my iPhone/ipod and they definitely needed amping. So im currently pairing them with a fiio e9 desktop amp while using the iPhone/iPod as the dac to play music.

Now, when I turn the volume to something like half way, for example, everything sounds much more lively, but I feel as though the bass is somewhat too vibration orientated - like muffled and washes out the other sounds in the songs. It might be the music quality as only a handful of songs are in alac. 

Could this be the poor dac of the iPhone and iPod, or perhaps the music quality? I do have a titanium hd that will be installed shortly so will I here a difference?

I shall try to ensure the songs are ripped to lossless and try the hd card shortly, but i can't see this card having a great impact. Is it true that this beyer, and perhaps a few other models,  take away the rest of the sound details with its vibrating bass? Perhaps it's the fiio e9

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 5
Sounds characteristic of the 770, overwhelming bass. Especially on the 80 ohm model FWIR. I doubt it's the E9 or the iPod LOD, and I doubt that you will hear much improvement from upgrading your soundcard

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Sounds characteristic of the 770, overwhelming bass. Especially on the 80 ohm model FWIR. I doubt it's the E9 or the iPod LOD, and I doubt that you will hear much improvement from upgrading your soundcard

Well I guess I'll give the card a test and see if your right dude.

Quote:
Heya,

Try lossless, before you buy gear to make a lower bit rate MP3 do anything.

Very best,

Yeah, I'll use apple lossless in iTunes then make a comparison, if that's what you mean?

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Not sure if this is useful information for you, since it is about the 250 Ohm version that is said to have less bass, but I found that it improves the most by equalizing the upper mids (adding 5-6 dB of boost around 3.3 kHz, with a Q of about 2, the parameters need experimenting). Also, the bass becomes less overpowering after a while (perhaps because the seal becomes looser, or simply because of getting used to it), I find the amount of it OK most of the time now, while it seemed quite bass heavy at first. Actually, I add a peak of about +3 dB at 215 Hz (Q=2) to fill a "hole" in the upper bass. Also, the source used does make some (not huge) difference, for example if it has high output impedance, the bass will increase slightly.

There are also some mods to reduce bass, if you search the forum, you will find threads where such mods are described (e.g. adding damping to the ear cups). A simple, but probably too effective "mod" is to cover the bass ports (e.g. with tape). Also, replacing the ear pads with those of the DT880/990 (EDT990V) will result in less bass, but again probably too much reduction and also worse isolation/leakage; but it may possibly improve the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back