Will I notice an improvement with a DAC upgrade?
May 22, 2017 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tim Le

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am currently using an iFi Micro iDSD connected to a X-Can v3 hybrid amp. Will I notice any improvement if I upgrade to a standalone dac (I've been looking at the NuForce dac-80 on Massdrop).

One more thing to mention, I listen to the majority of my music using Spotify 320kbps.

May 22, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 4
iFi iDSD is a good DAC itself. You will notice a difference between the DACs for sure. However, whether it sounds better or not depends on your ears.

May 23, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi everyone, I am currently using an iFi Micro iDSD connected to a X-Can v3 hybrid amp. Will I notice any improvement if I upgrade to a standalone dac (I've been looking at the NuForce dac-80 on Massdrop).

One more thing to mention, I listen to the majority of my music using Spotify 320kbps.

Differences between otherwise good DAC designs are subtle unless you're comparing two DACs where there is a serious disadvantage in one of them, like low output voltage (which then either screws up the level you're listening at or your amp starts piling on noise and distortion when you compensate for it). There are other aspects that mostly do with imaging precision but nobody can answer if you or anybody else can hear it. They can only speak of whether they themselves heard a difference, not predict whether you can or not.

May 23, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 4
Differences between otherwise good DAC designs are subtle unless you're comparing two DACs where there is a serious disadvantage in one of them, like low output voltage (which then either screws up the level you're listening at or your amp starts piling on noise and distortion when you compensate for it). There are other aspects that mostly do with imaging precision but nobody can answer if you or anybody else can hear it. They can only speak of whether they themselves heard a difference, not predict whether you can or not.

Thanks, I think that answers my question. I was deciding between upgrading my headphones, amp, or DAC. It sounds like my money would best be spent on a headphone upgrade during this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back