Will I need to spend a boatload of money to upgrade a Magni3?
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

z1ggy

New Head-Fier
Plan on buying some LCD-X's as my "end game" cans for listening to metal/rock and other loud boom boom noises during movies/non-competitive games. I have a Magni 3 (fed by Modi) and I'm wondering what it would take to get an actual upgrade to this amp (keeping solid state). I know I don't really need more power and the only fault I can find on the Magni is that it's annoying to not have all the switches on the front. If it takes spending $1000 just to get a small upgrade, I don't think I'm willing to do it at this point in time. Heck.. I was eyeing the SP200 but now I'm even questioning if it's worth it.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 19
Topping DX7s DAC/amp.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s
Maybe get a balanced cable for the LCD-X headphones
Again... no expert but I just read the Topping output impedance (balanced) is 9ohm... So driving anything less than 40ohm is probably not going to give the best experience, no? The LCD-X are only a 20ohm load. Not sure how the impedance changes over the frequency spectrum, but I've always read you minimally want a DF of 4 or more... ideally 8+. Truth to this?

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 19
Again... no expert but I just read the Topping output impedance (balanced) is 9ohm... So driving anything less than 40ohm is probably not going to give the best experience, no? The LCD-X are only a 20ohm load. Not sure how the impedance changes over the frequency spectrum, but I've always read you minimally want a DF of 4 or more... ideally 8+. Truth to this?
20-Ohms, the Schiit Magni 3 offers way more power then the LCD-X will ever need.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 19
Well certainly you get a lot of amp for the money in the Magni, but if you are thinking about upgrading why not step up to the Jotenheim and get balanced in and out as well as the ability to add a DAC module later. I have driven both my LCD-XC and Ether 2 from the Jotenheim and found it to be a great amp with plenty of power. Certainly the Jot is a lot less than $1000...

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Well certainly you get a lot of amp for the money in the Magni, but if you are thinking about upgrading why not step up to the Jotenheim and get balanced in and out as well as the ability to add a DAC module later. I have driven both my LCD-XC and Ether 2 from the Jotenheim and found it to be a great amp with plenty of power. Certainly the Jot is a lot less than $1000...
Other than the balanced in/out, is there any other advantage to the amp? Lower noise floor... better THD, etc?

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm confused. I was referring to the damping factor of running LCD-X's off the Topping. If Magni was an end game amp just based on power... nobody would be running anything else.
I guess I just agreed with you about the damping issue with the Topping DX7s and it not being a good choice for your 20-Ohm headphones.
It's preferable to have the headphones to have 8 to 10 times the impedance (Ohms) of the output impedance of the amplifiers headphone jack.
So with 20-Ohm headphones, you want (prefer) the amplifier headphone jack's output impedance to be 2-Ohm or less, for good damping control.
It seems your 20-Ohm LCD-X headphone were designed to run well plugged into a portable source (smartphone, DAP, etc).
So at least to me, the Magni is more than enough.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 19
I guess I just agreed with you about the damping issue with the Topping DX7s and it not being a good choice for your 20-Ohm headphones.
It's preferable to have the headphones to have 8 to 10 times the impedance (Ohms) of the output impedance of the amplifiers headphone jack.
So with 20-Ohm headphones, you want (prefer) the amplifier headphone jack's output impedance to be 2-Ohm or less, for good damping control.
It seems your 20-Ohm LCD-X headphone were designed to run well plugged into a portable source (smartphone, DAP, etc).
So at least to me, the Magni is more than enough.
Ah okay, yes I agree with that. So do any users pick amps for more than just total power output? Assuming you have a few amps that have THD's that are .000X or better and supply clean, ample power... would the only discriminating factor be price?

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 19
Ah okay, yes I agree with that. So do any users pick amps for more than just total power output? Assuming you have a few amps that have THD's that are .000X or better and supply clean, ample power... would the only discriminating factor be price?
Why not get the LCD-X and plug them into the Magni, use that for awhile, you can always replace the Magni in the future.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 19
Other than the balanced, the ability to add a DAC card or a phono pre amp.... ideally buying anything, you want a piece of gear that is versatile so that you don't have to sell it when you need something slightly different.. so I like the idea of being able to expand it. In the future you could use it in another location / function if you bought other gear for your listening station.

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 19
Welcome to the threads, @z1ggy . @davesa makes a very valid point. If one can, try to forecast where you'd like to go in this ridiculously fun hobby. I have a collection of little brushed aluminum boxes at my listening nook. I still find myself plugging in my fancy Ether C Flow cans into my little Magni. I might get strung up for saying this, however... the difference between my Magni 3 and my (purchased as a 'classic', close-out bundle [amp + Bifrost Multibit]) Asgard 2 is subtle.

I modified my Magni 3 by replacing the volume knob with a surplus, weighted, microscope knob. It gave me much more fine-motor control (with my Wreck-It Ralph sized hands). Without sounding crude, I get more enjoyment using physically larger potentiometers (link).

My upgrade-sidegrade desire: I wanted a bit of each amplification technologies: solid state, vacuum tube, and hybrid. I can't use large floor speakers since we live in a tower. So dedicated headphone amplifiers (link) were my way to go. I find myself mixing and matching to get different results (or just to see different LEDs blazing away [or that incandescent tube glow]). :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 19
Welcome to the threads, @z1ggy . @davesa makes a very valid point. If one can, try to forecast where you'd like to go in this ridiculously fun hobby. I have a collection of little brushed aluminum boxes at my listening nook. I still find myself plugging in my fancy Ether C Flow cans into my little Magni. I might get strung up for saying this, however... the difference between my Magni 3 and my (purchased as a 'classic', close-out bundle [amp + Bifrost Multibit]) Asgard 2 is subtle.

I modified my Magni 3 by replacing the volume knob with a surplus, weighted, microscope knob. It gave me much more fine-motor control (with my Wreck-It Ralph sized hands). Without sounding crude, I get more enjoyment using physically larger potentiometers (link).

My upgrade-sidegrade desire: I wanted a bit of each amplification technologies: solid state, vacuum tube, and hybrid. I can't use large floor speakers since we live in a tower. So dedicated headphone amplifiers (link) were my way to go. I find myself mixing and matching to get different results (or just to see different LEDs blazing away [or that incandescent tube glow]). :ksc75smile:
Well as far as headphone prediction goes... I think I'm pretty good with LCD-X as being my "fun" open option for a while, and I actually just got 660S' to be my neutral/gaming/all other open set. I have some low impedance Sony closed back's for my mobile listening and I don't see myself spending a ton of money to replace those any time soon. So realistically if I can find a decent deal on the LCD's sometime soon... I'll have my bases covered. Only other thing I've been itching to try is to hear this warm "tube sound" but everything I read is mixed (as usual) and a lot of people seem to spend a LOT of money to get high quality tube amp set ups. Not sure I'm willing to buy and sell over and over again since I do seem pretty happy with Magni 3, but it is my only amp. It kind of feels like marrying my first gf in high school or something.... am I missing out on anything else?

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 19

I've seen very few people on this forum whose "likes" exceed their post count so dramatically. But I can see why that's the case with you. Your post was well written, informative and kind! You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back