Will I like the HD650 more than the HD600?
Dec 9, 2008 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

This has possibly been discussed plenty. I would like to reinforce the discussion with this new thread, hopefully.

Does the HD650 really improve that much with amplification. I've heard the HD650 from a Woo6, Millet Hybrid, PPAv2. I'm unimpressed because of the lower end, I feel that HD600 strikes a greater balance.

I'm using a 4 channel b22 w/ dual s22 PSU. I'm running my HD600 balanced right now, and it's great. I've always preferred the HD600 to the HD650.

Reading around, I've gathered that HD650 improved plenty when amplified properly, evenmoreso when balanced!

Will I like the HD650 (when properly amplified) more than the HD600 if I never liked it in the first place?

Edit: If you have the HD650 and you're in London! PLEASE PM ME!
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will I like the HD650 (when properly amplified) more than the HD600 if I never liked it in the first place?

If we're talking balanced, then yes, it's possible that you would.

I've always been a fan of HD600 over HD650, and prefer the former on every single-ended setup I've tried. When balanced, though, I felt that the HD650 actually sounded better.

If you've already got the balanced setup, get someone from your area who has a HD650 to drop by, and compare the two and get back to us
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 17
I've been looking for someone with a HD650 but I haven't been lucky.

Also have been tempted to just buy a HD650 out of the marketplace but times are bad with the recession and I shouldn't be spending like that.

Thanks for your input Covenant. Anyone else chiming in?

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 17
I prefer the HD650 over the HD600 because the HD650 has a better lower-mid spectrum. To be honest their signatures are very close despite what people say. I thought I was going to "wow"-ed by their differences, but they sound almost identical unless you're switching them back and forth on the same track. The HD600 sounds cleaner, by that I mean a little drier. One thing I like about the HD650 is that it doesn't sound dark as it easily could have. I'm not sure if I'm the only person who hears this, but the treble on the HD650 has a pleasant (tweaked?) "sparkle" even though it is softened by design. The pair that I'm using is close to four years, where as the HD600 is new. At this point, I prefer the old Senn design.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 17
Hi,

I own a pair of hd650s about a year old now, and would be curious to hear what they sound like balanced (I could be making a seriously expensive mistake here!). I also have never heard the hd600. I am based in south London, Croydon area, whereabouts are you? I would be very happy to meet up or indeed loan you my pair.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 17
Dont know about the 600 but I will say the 650 is the most natural sounding pair I have listened too. The veil is really not there with a decent amp and my favorite part is the high bass, low mids that come across so realistic and natural sounding. Every other headphone had some kind of eccentric quality to the sound signature I ended up listening to the headphones most of the time. With the 650 I really do forget they are on and the music goes by while I never once stop to think about my system. I do listen to my amp alot because I have been doing alot of tube rolling but I never ever analyze my headphones.

Dec 10, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On amazon.com the HD650 is about a $100 more than the 600. Is this jump in price an increase in sound quality or just more of a different sound signature?

Whats the difference? Isnt sound signature the single most important thing for a headphone that may get used for over a decade?

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 17
If you have the HD600s and are somewhat satisfied and want a different sound, I'd honestly go with a different brand. I haven't heard the 650's myself, but supposedly, they don't sound all THAT different from the 600s. If you like the 600s but want more bass, then maybe you could sell the 600s and get the 650s.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 17
As I've noted previously...

It depends on your preferences... and... whether you have the "new" versions, or "old" versions of these phones.

"Old" versions: If you like "big bass" and warm / dark / rich mids and highs with a "veil" you'll prefer the HD650s... but... if you like "good bass" and a more balanced sound you'll prefer the HD600s.

"New" versions: If you like "good bass" and warm / rich mids and bright, clear, detailed highs that aren't harsh, or strident... you'll like them both equally - they sound very similar to one another. In fact, the units I have/had sound identical to each other. With a good source, and amp... few phones sound any better.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 17
To repeat what Gradofan said.
I have used both and to me they sound very similar. The HD650 had a tad more more bass. The HD600 seemed to clamp less- but perhaps they were just worn in better.

I prefer ED9's over both.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To repeat what Gradofan said.
I have used both and to me they sound very similar. The HD650 had a tad more more bass. The HD600 seemed to clamp less- but perhaps they were just worn in better.

I prefer ED9's over both.

x3. The differences between a "new" HD600 and HD650 isn't that huge. But balanced, the HD650 struck me as scaling better. Balanced HD600 didn't sound like all that much of an improvement over SE, wheras HD650 clearly stepped up a notch.

But then I'm a closet basshead, and the extra bass volume of the HD650 may have been what tipped my favour. I've only heard them under meet conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back