will i like john lennon?
Aug 21, 2003 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
I've discovered this summer that I like the Beatles.

Specifically, I like the albums from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road.

I'm curious if I should go out and get any John Lennon post-Beatles stuff, but I'm sort of afraid of it all being like "Give peace a chance!!"

There's a John Lennon box set (Anthology) here, plus the compilation Lennon Legend, as well as the proper albums. Is this worth it, you think?

Btw, I picked up All Things Must Pass by George Harrison, and, sadly, could not get into it.

Aug 21, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Depends on what type of person you are. If you enjoy atonal music and experimentation, you'll probably like all his songs. If you're just a guy searching for good, catchy melodies and lyrics you're probably not going to like half of his weird stuff (I love you Yoko...I love you John...I love you Yoko...I love you John...I love you Yoko...I love you John...I love you Yoko...I love you John...I love you Yoko...I love you John...I love you Yoko...I love you John...I love you Yoko...I love you John.........Bleh)

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Start with Plastic Ono Band. I actually like it better than any single Beatles album (not the biggest Beatles fan). It's hard not to find something to like with POB though. Pretty important to rock/pop history.

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 6
i'm not averse to experimentation, although sappiness isn't something that sits well with me, heh.

the albums i have are:

Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (probably my favourite proper album)
Magical Mystery Tour
White Album
Abbey Road
Past Masters 2
1967 - 1970 (disc 1 has most of my favourite Beatles songs on it)

Aug 21, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Also check out Paul McCartney's excellent Wingspan compilation of his solo work. These discs are a pure joy from start to finish.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd think you would like Lennon fine. I'd go with an anthology as his music is more individual songs than album oriented. "COld Turkey" is my personal favorite-and that's way on the far end of the spectrum from sappy. Imagine is an excellent album, probably my favorite complete album of his.

Personal opinion-avoid like the plague anything with Yoko on it. You youngens' don't know what is was like back in the day when you used to have to jump up, in a stupor, every other track to skip the needle over Yoko's contributions. I personally think she had a lot to do with cassette recorders becoming so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back