Will I ever like listening to closed headphones (DT770/80 pro vs HFI780, D2000)?
May 1, 2009 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

hifidk

1000+ Head-Fier
I did not like the sound signature of DT770 (80 and 250) because how its bass sounded. They were not bloated or uncontrolled for sure but the amount of bass was just too much for me. However, I still want to try other closed headphones such as HFI780 and D2000/5000. Will I ever like them? Do they have similar amount/quantity of bass? I guess I don't like a chest thumping bass.

Also, anyone find W1000/5000 to have too much bass? I have been searching and seems like their bass amount is less than the headphones I have mentioned above. Any input will be appreciated!!!

May 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 21
W1000/W5000 for sure have less bass quantity than the D2000.

Bass on the W5000 is gorgeous as you can hear the each note going deeper and deeper. If you find the bass on the W5000 to be too weak, then there's the Fitz mod which gives a nice boost in terms of bass quantity (still less thump than the D2000). However, Clarity, transparency, airy, and holographic soundstage are the strong points of the W5000.

May 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 21
Well, the DT770 2005 is known for being more neutral-sounding than the other DT770s (but with harsh treble). I doubt Ultrasone or Denon will do it for you if you want less bass (FWIR, I haven't heard these... yet
wink.gif
). The upcoming Shure ones might also be worth looking into, we'll just have to wait and see.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 21
If you don't like the bass of the DT770s, you will not like the bass of the HFI780s and D2000/5000, though the quantity is less and quality improves with the D5000s. Try ESW9s for closed, if you require closed headphones. They're not full-sized, but have a pretty balanced tone (though I've heard two very different sounding models, one with mid bass and treble emphasis; one with more of a lower mid emphasis). The bass is clean (not exactly tight), very enjoyable, and not overwhelming at all. The ESW10s have a much tighter bass and are a bit brighter than the 9s over all. I ended up preferring the 10s, but both are really nice sounding headphones, especially for closed models.

I don't have much experience with the W1000 or W5000, so others can help you out there.

May 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W1000/W5000 for sure have less bass quantity than the D2000.

Bass on the W5000 is gorgeous as you can hear the each note going deeper and deeper. If you find the bass on the W5000 to be too weak, then there's the Fitz mod which gives a nice boost in terms of bass quantity (still less thump than the D2000). However, Clarity, transparency, airy, and holographic soundstage are the strong points of the W5000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000 is actually on the bass light side. It is a totally different beast than the other "budget" headphones you mentioned, definitely a large step above.

Yeah, I had my eyes on the W5000 for long time but they are still a little expensive for me. I will have to try many budget phones before I climb up to that level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the DT770 2005 is known for being more neutral-sounding than the other DT770s (but with harsh treble). I doubt Ultrasone or Denon will do it for you if you want less bass (FWIR, I haven't heard these... yet
wink.gif
). The upcoming Shure ones might also be worth looking into, we'll just have to wait and see.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had both 2005 and pro version. Yes, consumer version has less amount of bass but harsh treble like you said. Pro version on the other hand had too much bass with less fatiguing treble to my ears.

May 1, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I had my eyes on the W5000 for long time but they are still a little expensive for me. I will have to try many budget phones before I climb up to that level.

I had both 2005 and pro version. Yes, consumer version has less amount of bass but harsh treble like you said. Pro version on the other hand had too much bass with less fatiguing treble to my ears.

Heh, it's not for everyone. I love the harsh treble. Neutrality is overrated.
wink.gif

May 1, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't like the bass of the DT770s, you will not like the bass of the HFI780s and D2000/5000, though the quantity is less and quality improves with the D5000s.

If this is true, then it is actually better for me because I will save a lot of money and time (for buying/trying them out).

May 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 21
Are you looking for something relatively portable? From the selection, along with the fact that you already have an HD600, it sounds like that is what you are looking for.

The W5000 is definitely not a portable solution (which is why I also have a 780).

May 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 21
The HFI-780 even w/ a re-cable have a lot of bass. The Denon D2000/D5000 have excellent bass provided you implement the MarkL mods. Then they are very enjoyable, if you add a set of V4 wood cups (by MarkL) then IMO the Denons become world class headphone. Note, IMO denons favor SS amps (yes a generic coment w/ some exceptions).

May 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 21
PRO 900. It´s closed but sound like an open headphone so may be just what you want? Mind you in stock they may have to much bass for your taste but you can fine tune it with more or less cotton wool. When I stuffed it the most it didn´t have that much more bass than the K701 which is getting a lot of flak for lack of bass
wink.gif
. I run with less cotton wool now though I do feel that and the felt in the back helps improve the quality of the bass too
smily_headphones1.gif

markl D5000 had "controlled bass". Think it may even went to far reducing that even on the Canamp. Haven´t heard the stock but from the reviews it sounds like stock D5000 have a LOT more bass than the markl modded one. I didn´t particularly like that headphone though.

May 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for something relatively portable? From the selection, along with the fact that you already have an HD600, it sounds like that is what you are looking for.

The W5000 is definitely not a portable solution (which is why I also have a 780).

I am not looking for portable. I would rather go with full-size actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered venturing into the world of electrostatic headphones?

To be honest, I haven't. I am just overwhelmed by the dynamic headphones right now. Maybe I will consider them later on when I am bored with what I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-780 even w/ a re-cable have a lot of bass. The Denon D2000/D5000 have excellent bass provided you implement the MarkL mods. Then they are very enjoyable, if you add a set of V4 wood cups (by MarkL) then IMO the Denons become world class headphone. Note, IMO denons favor SS amps (yes a generic coment w/ some exceptions).

Hmm, maybe I should avoid HFI780 then. I would definitely want to try D5000 though
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 21
Different people have different definitions as to how much bass is "too much bass". It's useless hearing people telling you that the D2000/HDI780 has too much bass when to you it wouldn't be too much. Both the D2000 and HFI 780 have a better control of bass than both versions of the DT770, so there's a good chance that you will like them.

May 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 21
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I haven't tried many headphones yet, but I am willing to try out as many headphones that are out there and I was just wondering if it is worth trying out these popular closed cans even if I did not like the DT770.

Maybe I will never find out until I actually try them all out
frown.gif

Anyways, more comments/suggestions will be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back