Will I ever find the right CLOSED headphones?
Aug 14, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
About a week ago I sold my HD-590s to a UK head-fier. So now I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket. Like any good head-fier, I want to spend it rather than save it.

The other half of the story goes like this. I recently purchased a new amp which can drive the bejesus out of my SR-60s. A few of my coworkers have started to complain about the sound leakage so I have decided to try to find a good set of closed heaphones for around $100.

Today I went shopping, and I had the chane to audition 3 sets of closed headphone that were right in my price range.

First up was the Audio Technica M-40b (or something like that). With acoustic music they really shined. Great bass and what seemed like a flat frequency response. When I switch to heavier rock (Incubus, Breaking Benjamin et al), they totally lost it. The guitars just sounded wrong. Something funny was going on in the lower midrage that just made them sound cheap. They sounded a little bit like my Senn EH2200 which I have not used for over three years. I listen to a lot of rock, so these simply wont work.

Next up were the Sennheiser HD-280. They had decent sound, but were a little to far towards the laid back Senn sound for my taste. Over all not bad, but OUCH. They felt like a vise grip on my head. Sennheiser has a bad habit of making headphones that are only comfortable for a small subset of the population. The headband has a high spring rate so if you head is to big or to small, they just don't fit right. Oddly enough, my old HD-590s were very comfortable.

Last up were the Sony 7506 (again I think that was the model number, maybe it was 7605). They were more comfortable than the Senns and had a much better midrange that the ATs. I was really close to buying these, but I could not get over the harsh treble. They were to bright in the cymbal and upper guitar range (probably around a few kHz). Bass was OK but not as deep or solid as the ATs. It was tough for me to put them back. Maybe they would smooth out with some break in, but I was not willing to risk the $100 to find out.

So my search continues. I would love to get a pair of DT770, but new they are out of my price range, and used they disappear before I even see the listing.

If anyone has any other suggestions for closed headphone in the $100 dollar range I would appreciate it. Ideally I would get Grado sound in a closed can, but I realize thats probably impossible. I have heard good things about the Sony Eggos, but no stores around here carry them.

Oh yeah before I forget. These need to be circulaural headphones. I am not interested in supra-aural closed cans. My Grados are already supra-aural, and I am looking for something larger and more comfortable for when my ears start to hurt (and coworkers complain).

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 14
I suggest the A500. $100? Perfect.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 14
IEM? Acutally I have a pair of ER-6s. They don't have particularly good bass even when amped. I might consider another pair of IEM, but are there any IEM that would be better than the ER-6s for the $100? I was thinking of trying the ER-6i's since they are supposed to have better bass than the ER-6s, but how much better can it be?

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321
IEM? Acutally I have a pair of ER-6s. They don't have particularly good bass even when amped. I might consider another pair of IEM, but are there any IEM that would be better than the ER-6s for the $100? I was thinking of trying the ER-6i's since they are supposed to have better bass than the ER-6s, but how much better can it be?

Some people have said that there is an improvement, especially in isolation. But most people have admitted that there isn't much of a difference.

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 14
try out a pair of hd201s. you may be pleasantly surprised. i know i was.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321

They are better to me. My friend just bought some er-6s after hearing my 6is. He wanted the black cause he didnt want to get jumped. When he listened to them, he said they sounded alot worse. I listened to them, and like he said, they did. They didnt really sound bad in the mids and highs, but they had literally no bass. I thought the 6is didnt have much...jeese. I dont think they're worth buying a pair though, when you already have the 6s.

Aug 14, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
try out a pair of hd201s. you may be pleasantly surprised. i know i was.
biggrin.gif

Wait...The 201s sound good. Ive been looking for some closed home usage headphones, and no one really recomended those. How good do they sound compared to some of the headphones listed above, including the 6is?

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 14
the 201s are WAY below your budget at $20. That being said, they are far and away the best $20 can I've ever heard. I use mine all the time while drumming and in noisy situations, and they're great.

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 14
I did not use my Airhead when trying out the headphones listed above. I left it at work (casue I did not know I would be out shopping this weekend). I would be (a little) surprised if the Airhead was able to tame the harsh treble on the Sony's, but stranger things have happened.

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 14
A few weeks ago, I did some mini-reviews of under-$100 closed phones:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128865

(you have to go down a few posts to get to the actual review section)

To be honest with you, the short answer is, I doubt you'll find any closed headphones in your price range you'll be completely happy with. However, if your primary concern is sound leakage, and not isolation, a semi-closed headphone may do the trick. The AKG K141S, for example, allows quite a bit of outside sound in, but not very much leaks out (compared to an SR60, anyway). It's not supra-aural, however, so it may not be exactly what you want. I was just thinking that it may be worthwhile look into the semi-closed category.

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 14
I think your best bet is try to get a dt770. I recently got one for $100 and I love them. their very thick right now (i think its because im running them unamped) but their not fatiguing like my a900's and their super comfy. they have decent sound reduction aswell
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back