Will i benefit from a headphone amp for computer audio?
Oct 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xirxes

100+ Head-Fier
Currently i am running a crative labs Fatal1ty platinum sound card (one of the higher end units), run to beyerdynamic DT 770's (80 OHM).

Will i benefit from a good desktop amplifier? If so what is a good unit for about $300? I just want to make sure i am getting the best sound from PC based itunes and gaming thanks!

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 4
I think iBasso D10 willbe better choice because it has AMPs and DAC function too. So you can use it as stand alone external DAC with your soundcard through optical, coaxial or USB and it will sound amazing(much better than X-Fi soundcard).

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 4
I would consider modding your sound card.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ho...no-56k-226975/

Otherwise, while I've never heard the iBasso D10 and while it would probably work great for the DT770/80's, I would think there would be better ways to spend $300 if you don't need a portable solution. I wouldn't expect the D10 to be able to any "hungry headphones". That means you may need to buy another amp if you upgrade your headphones.

Here is a post the Uncle Erik made in a thread about the HD600 and portable amps. Many people were suggesting the iBasso D10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found portable amps inadequate for the HD-600 when I had them. So have many others and there have been lengthy debates over whether portables can drive full-sized headphones. If you want a summary of the arguments, read Boomana's thread about advice for new members.

For the record, I'm in the camp that finds little value in portables. I don't want to run my full-sized open headphones in public. Assuming there was a portable that could power them, the noise in an airplane, public transportation, etc. would make them pointless. You would lose all the benefit of having open headhones.

If you listen to full-sized headphones at home, where you would have the quiet you need to appreciate them, then why use an amp that doesn't power them fully? If you're willing to spend about $300 on an amp, then why not buy a powerful solid state desktop amp that makes them sound incredible? Even if you don't want to spend $300, the $100 PreSonus HP4 demolishes portables. So do many vintage/used receivers you can get for $20 at the Salvation Army or on Craigslist.

Further, when I do go portable, I use either IEMs or my efficient closed Sonys. Both of which are driven well by just an iPod or iPhone.

So, why would I spend $300 (or more) on a portable that my portable cans don't need and make the rest of my headphones sound lousy?

If you're going to run your HD-600 at home, spend some time looking at desktop amps. For the same money, or less, you can significantly improve your performance.

I expect some to disagree, but I invite you to attend a meet and compare desktop amps side-by-side with portables. There is a significant difference.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 4
I agree with nullstring - get a desktop amp ->head to the forums on desktop amps and read up!

A desktop amp will give you greater scope to expand your headphone collection in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back