Will I be happier with the K601
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wangtox

Head-Fier
I just want to start off with Holy**** am i apprehensive about even posting this thread with all the K701 has no bass and sucks flaming that I see in every thread.

I have been trying to find the right can for a few months now. I originally got the Denon AH-D2000's while I liked the sound i felt the bass was alittle too exaggerated. I then started reading about the K601's and I really do like the Sound stage that AKG products provide. I read alot about how much more musical the headphones were then the 701's. So I ordered them , sad thing is the retailer didn't have them in stock so they were nice and shipped me a pair of K701's for the same price. They said give them a listen for awhile and if you don't like them send em back and we should have a pair of 601's in stock by then. Now i have burned them in for some 150 hours with pink noise. I feel that the 701 is an amazing HP for someone who wants to get to guts of the music and hear every detail , But i also feel that yes they are cold and just not what I want to hear. I do find them lacking in bass , atleast to my ears they are. I have them hooked up to a Cute Beyond and a Fubar 2 Dac being fed off the tape out loop of my Krell Kav - 300i. My question after this long shpiel is will I be happy with the K601's? I want something warm and musical with a nice bass extension that will make albums like Torche - Meanderthal make me cream in my pants as my current 2 channel rig does now. I dont want a closed can because i really like the open sound and the sound stage it produces with these bands that love to rock out with huge distorted harmonic sound. Also I have heard many grado's and I just am not into them so please don't tell me I need grado's cause they are awesome with guitars. I will say it again Warm, Musical, Natural Bass. I mostly listen to stoner rock / metal , sludge , experimental , postrock , glitch and idm , ambient.

Thanks

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 18
Seriously 16 people read the thread and don't have any idea's? I guess people are just busy in the other threads bashing lol

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 18
No experience with K601s here.... just a newish pair of K702s. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to burn them in for a while longer and see if they settle in a bit closer to your preferences? My K702s have warmed/smoothed a bit in the past couple of weeks.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 18
If you don't like the 701's, chances are you won't be happy with the 601's

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangtox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to start off with Holy**** am i apprehensive about even posting this thread with all the K701 has no bass and sucks flaming that I see in every thread.

I have been trying to find the right can for a few months now. I originally got the Denon AH-D2000's while I liked the sound i felt the bass was alittle too exaggerated. I then started reading about the K601's and I really do like the Sound stage that AKG products provide. I read alot about how much more musical the headphones were then the 701's. So I ordered them , sad thing is the retailer didn't have them in stock so they were nice and shipped me a pair of K701's for the same price. They said give them a listen for awhile and if you don't like them send em back and we should have a pair of 601's in stock by then. Now i have burned them in for some 150 hours with pink noise. I feel that the 701 is an amazing HP for someone who wants to get to guts of the music and hear every detail , But i also feel that yes they are cold and just not what I want to hear. I do find them lacking in bass , atleast to my ears they are. I have them hooked up to a Cute Beyond and a Fubar 2 Dac being fed off the tape out loop of my Krell Kav - 300i. My question after this long shpiel is will I be happy with the K601's? I want something warm and musical with a nice bass extension that will make albums like Torche - Meanderthal make me cream in my pants as my current 2 channel rig does now. I dont want a closed can because i really like the open sound and the sound stage it produces with these bands that love to rock out with huge distorted harmonic sound. Also I have heard many grado's and I just am not into them so please don't tell me I need grado's cause they are awesome with guitars. I will say it again Warm, Musical, Natural Bass. I mostly listen to stoner rock / metal , sludge , experimental , postrock , glitch and idm , ambient.

Thanks

I really like the K701's (as well as DT-880-250-2003, Ety ER-4S and Grado SR-60's with bowl pads). I think the bass is good, but not overpowering, and not muddy at all. I am not a basshead and while I listen to rock, it is not metal or stoner rock. Try a pair of AKG K81-DJ's -- they have the AKG sound in many respect but the bass has been too much for me, even with the foam removed.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 18
Dude thereare WAY to many threads going n about the K601 currently. Read around, use the search button, I'm not gonna post my impressions in 4-5 threads.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wangtox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks

HD600
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600
wink.gif

Now there's my kind of math!
tongue.gif

But seriously, from my experience, if you don't like the sound signature (or whatever else) from a headphone within the first day or two of owning them, it's pretty much a strong suggestion that they simply aren't for you, and you'll just waste time, money, and happiness trying to act like you're in Soviet Russia, having the cans shape you, when you can easily sell them here, and buy another brand/model.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 18
Haha, good point!

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600
wink.gif

If your really serious about getting a set of natural sounding, comfortable headphones you can keep for 10 or 20 years then look into the 600/650. AKG doesnt have their stuff together just now.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 18
So noone thinks i will like the Bass in the K601? The issues i have with the K701 are bass and that spike in the treble range. By looking at the K601 graph it seems to have less roll off in the bass and no spike. I appreciate the Senn owners in the thread i just did not enjoy the laid back presentation to be honest.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 18
I think so, but I already posted this in 1 of the other 20 K601 threads
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 18
For some reason, I believe Sennheiser HD650 would suit you more.

If you dont like K701 bass, you wont like K601. K601 is slightly warmer, but overall bass doesnt differ much.

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 18
What is it about the Grados that you hate? That'll help us know more about what you want. Besides the HD600/HD650 you might want to consider the D7000 too, it's the D2000 with a much more controlled bass, I think you'll like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back