Will I be disappointed?
Sep 14, 2007 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a pair of Shure E3cs that have stopped working. I am considering "upgrading" to the Shure E4c, Etymotic ER-4P, or UE super.fi 5.

With my E3cs, I was a little disappointed with its supposedly flat bass response, and I also found at low volumes especially that the treble was weak. I could not hear rides on the cymbals or closed hi-hat hits. However, I was totally happy with the smoothness and detail and accuracy of the E3cs, especially compared to the heavily EQ'd sound that the Sonys that I had previously had.

Out of the E4c, ER-4P, and super.fi 5, which one do you think would satisfy me most? I am not looking for something that has obviously boosted bass levels, but I would like to have something that has more bass/treble than my E3cs did.

I have read on this forum that some people had problems with the durability of the super.fi 5 cable, or something like that. What's the deal with that? Also, what is this replaceable cable? Does it just snap on/off of the buds? Or does it take more work? Do I risk losing the business end of the IEMs if they fall off the cable?

I used the smallest black and/or clear tips on my E3c. I have heard that the super.fi 5s nozzle end is thicker. Does anyone know how their smallest tip compares to the E3c smallest tip?

Also, people said that the ER-4P and super.fi 5 stick out farther? How much farther? Will it look really awkward compared to how my E3cs fit?

I'm sure that I have more questions, but that's all I could think of for now. People in this forum seem really knowledgeable, so I know I can get some great advice.

Thanks

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 11
Quick, non-technical answer (my subjective opinion) -- you would be disappointed only if you were moving to the E3's from one of the ones you mentioned. Moving away from the E3's, you'll be happier in terms of sound -- other factors may depend on your likes and dislikes.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 11
From what you described, you want the SE310 with improved bass port. I believe I liked mine better than my E4c - but not as much as the E500's in my ears right now
wink.gif
However, they still were quite good, with better bass than the E4c or ER6i, and without the harsher mids of the ER6i.

The Super.fi 5 pro didn't fit me well at all, just too big. The sound was fun but not as accurate as the Shure. Their sound signature was kinda like ER6i with the bass boost on. It also took them about 10 hours of use for the muddy bass to tighten up - I actually hated them at first until they "switched" at about 10 hours. I haven't heard this description from anyone, so it might have been an issue with my set that worked itself out, because they got to sound good enough to keep as spares if they'd have fit as well as my E500's

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 11
can't really comment on the headphones...but here's the cable thing for the UE's...They replaced the older versions of their cables and it's now supposedly sturdier and have been for 3 months now... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258284 that's from my review on er-6i's vs. sf3's, but that's how all the cables are on the Super.fi and Triple.fi line and even customs.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the cables of the SF5s detach easily? I wouldn't want to lose one by accident..

I doubt it.
I had the Triple Fi which uses the same cable/connector, and they are VERY snugly attached.
You will need quite a bit of force combined with wiggling to get them off.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is everyone's experience with headphone.com? Would it be too hard to return something to them if I end up not liking them (within 30 days of course)?

I suggest you ask Tyll himself since he is a member here and even has his own subforum.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 11
HeadRoom has a 30 day refund/exchange guarantee, so I don't think you'll have a problem dealing with them. You supposedly don't even have to give a reason.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for everyone's pointers. I just placed an order for SF5 Pro's from HeadRoom. I decided to try those out because I liked the size much more than the ER-4P's and from looking at the comparison graph of frequency response for the E3c vs E4c vs ER-4P vs SF5 Pro, I think that the SF5's have what I feel my E3c's were lacking.

Hopefully my thoughts are correct and I enjoy these a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back