Will HE-adapter with amp give more bass- punch and control to HE-6 compared to Schiit Lyr?
Jun 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sOund ArouNd

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I´m currently owning the Schiit Lyr and the HE-6 (aprox 100 hours burn in), but I would like to try it with my home amplifier (from the speaker outs), which is a denon pma 1500R (2x70 watt). I find the HE-6 to be the best headphones I have ever heard (from my limited experience), but I feel the bass could have even more punch and control, so I wonder if a real power-amplifer may be able to give that?
I will probably try to experiment with tube-rolling for the schiit as well which also might give it more punch and power.

Ultimately I will buy the Smyth realiser later this year (a pro version), and will sometimes use it professionally (but also for pleasure), since I work with sounddesign for film. The HE-6 is a bit on the bright side, but hopefully it will be corrected through the realiser, and deliver tight and powerfull bass for some "freaky" sounddesign 
basshead.gif

I will probably order the HE-adapter from Head-Direct: http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=104
I don´t really understand the difference in ohms and stuff, and I know that the first buyers of the HE-6 out there got a cable instead of the HE-adapter (which is not available anymore) . Will the HE-adapter limit the "power" of my amplifier with it´s inbuilt resistors compared to the cable some of you got?
I know it is also made to not blow HE-6 from a heavy amp
wink_face.gif

I´m also considering switching to the Lcd-2 if it can give more punch and tightness in the lowest registers. Don´t know about this though, since it is less "analytical" then the HE-6 (need an as good as possible "copy" of mixing-stages with the smyth realiser as possible).

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I´m currently owning the Schiit Lyr and the HE-6 (aprox 100 hours burn in), but I would like to try it with my home amplifier (from the speaker outs), which is a denon pma 1500R (2x70 watt). I find the HE-6 to be the best headphones I have ever heard (from my limited experience), but I feel the bass could have even more punch and control, so I wonder if a real power-amplifer may be able to give that?
I will probably try to experiment with tube-rolling for the schiit as well which also might give it more punch and power.

Ultimately I will buy the Smyth realiser later this year (a pro version), and will sometimes use it professionally (but also for pleasure), since I work with sounddesign for film. The HE-6 is a bit on the bright side, but hopefully it will be corrected through the realiser, and deliver tight and powerfull bass for some "freaky" sounddesign 
basshead.gif

I will probably order the HE-adapter from Head-Direct: http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=104
I don´t really understand the difference in ohms and stuff, and I know that the first buyers of the HE-6 out there got a cable instead of the HE-adapter (which is not available anymore) . Will the HE-adapter limit the "power" of my amplifier with it´s inbuilt resistors compared to the cable some of you got?
I know it is also made to not blow HE-6 from a heavy amp
wink_face.gif

I´m also considering switching to the Lcd-2 if it can give more punch and tightness in the lowest registers. Don´t know about this though, since it is less "analytical" then the HE-6 (need an as good as possible "copy" of mixing-stages with the smyth realiser as possible).

Thanks!

IMO you will not need the speaker adapter. I used an 8oWPioneer with excellent results putting 15W into the 50 ohm load and had zero issues. The 70W would put off less than 15W and the LCD2 can handle 15W maximunm

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 7
The speaker amp gives the HE-6 a kick in the pants to get great bass. It still won't give what the LCD-2 gives in the bass dept., but it is a balanced and complete representation. You can still hear the finest details while being molested by organ notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back