Dec 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And where can you still get 0.8.3?

OldVersion.com

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't there a DBT that showed no one could tell the difference between SACD and downsampled SACD (ie. downsampled to CD quality, or something)?

There is a post on Hydrogen Audio, but it doesn't link to anything.

If there was such a DBT, I don't see why this would really matter.

Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback". E. Brad Meyer and David R. Moran. JAES 55(9) September 2007

There is more info on the Boston Audio Society Wesite at BAS Experiment Explanation page - Oct 2007

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And where can you still get 0.8.3?

What accounts for all audio programs on a PC sounding different (aside from using ASIO)? Foobar obviously sounds the best, but Foobar sounds different than iTunes which sounds different than WMP. I imagine it's from multiple layers of programming that the audio data goes through, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can explain it.
So how do we know which program is giving you the most realistic interpretation of the original audio signal, and why does a program not seem to exist that can transmit an exact bit-for-bit unaltered signal from the soundcard to the DAC? And likewise, why when using a transport like the 840c will the sound quality be better using the CD player portion than using the digital inputs?

I'll answer. I have just been really busy preparing for CES.

As for sound differences in ASIO, I have no explanation other than it must be either altering the data or adding/subtracting jitter on playback. Only speculation. My converters dont use ASIO anymore, and its a big improvement over the old days with M-Audio drivers and ASIO.

As for the difference in Foobar, particularly 0.8.3, I believe it is the software CODEC. I believe it is just more accurate.

Foobar 0.8.3 does do bit-perfect with my USB Off-Ramp at 24/44.1 with Vista, XP and Mac. You can also get bit-perfect with any of the WiFi music devices, such as Squeezebox, Sonos or AirPort Express.

The sound quality of a CD player versus Transport and DAC has everything to do with the design of the DAC circuit in the CD player. I have yet to find one that matches the quality possible with an external DAC.

Email me and I'll send you 0.8.3 foobar and ASIO 51.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 19
hm i tried that ASIO 51 with foobar 0.8.3 but it doesnt work for me, a core error occures, that the ASIO 51.dll cant be loaded...
but now i am using KS with SRC on 96Khz/24bit, dunno if its better, but that feeling
biggrin.gif

is normal that with normal ASIO in foobar 0.9.x i cant upsample files, but with KS i can? (i have 0404 PCI)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back