Will FiiO E11 perform with these?
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NotLordAtkin

New Head-Fier
So here's the deal. I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with my new Beyerdynamic COP headphones. My knowledge of the technology behind headphones is quite limited but from what I've heard, the 16-Ohm drivers on my headphones should be able to work alright with phones and MP3 players without amplification. The COP's, however, are surprisingly quiet for such a large pair of headphones when connected to my phone. Also the sound quality is pretty good but I feel like they can do a lot better.
Connected to a neighbour's iPhone, they seem to have performed a lot better, although I'm not completely certain about this.

So my question is, will an affordable external amplifier such as FiiO E11 make a difference? Will it work alright with Samsung Galaxy S2 and Beyerdynamic COPs? Or should I start looking for a new MP3 player?

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
So here's the deal. I'm using Samsung Galaxy S2 with my new Beyerdynamic COP headphones. My knowledge of the technology behind headphones is quite limited but from what I've heard, the 16-Ohm drivers on my headphones should be able to work alright with phones and MP3 players without amplification. The COP's, however, are surprisingly quiet for such a large pair of headphones when connected to my phone. Also the sound quality is pretty good but I feel like they can do a lot better.
Connected to a neighbour's iPhone, they seem to have performed a lot better, although I'm not completely certain about this.

So my question is, will an affordable external amplifier such as FiiO E11 make a difference? Will it work alright with Samsung Galaxy S2 and Beyerdynamic COPs? Or should I start looking for a new MP3 player?

I don't really have any experience with the Galaxy S2, but have you checked through all your settings on your phone regarding playback and volume? Although I haven't heard the COP's, I imagine they must be decently driven by your phone. 

That being said, using a Fiio E11 won't necessarily be the best choice. You'll be "double-amping" (look it up) through your phone's amp and headphone jack instead of bypassing it with a Line-Out-Dock like an iPod or iPhone would. I hear that Fiio is coming out with an Android phone compatible amp but they haven't announced much about it yet. =/ 

However, there are DAC/Amp combos that you can research in the Portable sources forum about Android phones, so those are definitely worth a look. Although, as you'll see many people suggest, a Sansa Clip with Fiio or other amp combo can be a cheap solution if you do go the "new MP3 player" route.

As much as people say some phones don't need amping, I always think that amping is a good idea to refine sound and is well worth the extra pocket space it takes up. =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back